need find a Amphipods eater fish.

lxxnp1234

I don't want to see the amphipods in my tank. Is there any suggestion about amphipods eater fish?
My tank is 28 nano cube. Now, there are clown fish, firefish, and scooter blenny. My blenny does not do his job. Could I get a 6 line? Will it fight with other fish in my tank?

B

brandonsivek

The best fish for that job would probably be a Mandarin, but the problem is, once he eats all the pods (which wouldnt take as long as you think) he will starve to death. I am surprised your Scooter isnt eating them, as they are not really a blenny and more closely related to the Manderiin.

lxxnp1234

I am surprised about it too! I bought it to eat the amphipods, but it doesn't do his job. He enjoys my frozen shrimp every day......
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonSivek http:///forum/thread/384116/need-find-a-amphipods-eater-fish#post_3363889
The best fish for that job would probably be a Mandarin, but the problem is, once he eats all the pods (which wouldnt take as long as you think) he will starve to death. I am surprised your Scooter isnt eating them, as they are not really a blenny and more closely related to the Manderiin.

B

brandonsivek

Well, you got a cool Scooter then, to bad he doesnt do his job though! lol

B

brandonsivek

Also heard a Diamond Goby will eat them, but I dont think you can mix the Diamond with other Gobies, arnt Firefish in the Goby family?

lxxnp1234

I don't think firefish is in goby family. But I think he is kind of sand shifter, not a pod eater.Not sure. I want to buy some fish will definitely clean my tank.

monsinour

My amphipods went away in my DT once I added the McCrosker's wrasse. I still have isopods and amphipods in my sump.

mylady

I thought the clowns at them before we ever added the wrasse.
I know at the LFS our purple headed firefish was labeled as a "purple headed firefish goby"

chain

Firefish are gobies technically; however they are all classified in the firefish family which includes the regular or red firefish, purple firefish, helfrichi firefish, and there are others. Some are more readily available then others and the 3 listed above are the most common. All of your fish will eat amphipods; however all 'pods' in general don't move around much in the daylight especially out in the open. Consider cutting down on how much you are feeding your fish. All fish will consume pods simply because they enjoy hunting for their food. The reason they aren't doing so is because their little bellies are so full they have no desire to eat enough to make a dent in your population. Don't change your feeding schedule just feed a little less when you do feed. This will give your fish the needed belly room to consume the excess pods in your tank. Also consider possibly adding some type of moonlights to your tank. Some simple blue LEDS suffice well for this. This will give your fish the ability to detect the pods easily. You could add a mandarin; however it will most likely starve to death. You would be absolutely amazed at how many pods they can eat. Thousands in a few days. If you do opt to add a mandarin be sure to purchase one which is aquacultured (previously trained to take frozen foods, specifically and usually frozen mysis). This way when it consumes all of your pods it won't starve to death as it will readily accept your frozen foods. The only difference in an aquacultured mandarin besides the greatly increased survival rating in captivity is the price. A regular mandarin is usually around $15 american whereas a aquacultured mandarin can go for $80 american easily. I have and still do breed mandarin dragonnets and I aquaculture them myself and from personal experience sometimes an aquacultured mandarin which is exposed to a large population of pods will quit accepting frozen foods in exchange for the pods which they would rather have. If this is the case there isn't much that can be done. They recognize the frozen food, but will not accept it due to the fact that they would much rather hunt for their food rather then it being laid on their plate. i have personally had a few quit consuming frozen completely even when the pod population they had access to was decimated. They would have rather starved to death then going back to eating frozen foods. Once a mandarin reaches adolescense it is extremely difficult to aquaculture them. Also if the mandarin is wild caught its extremely difficult as well. They are one of those fish which would rather die then being forced into a different way of life. You could purchase a mandarin and when your pods are mostly gone return him to the store. Idk where you live, but here in the states most fish stores will work with you and give you most if not all of your money back. You are technically keeping their fish fed which normally they don't have the ability to do, so in a sense you are doing them a favor.

aquaknight

The reason the scooter doesn't eat amphipods is sheer physics. Look at the size of the amphipod compared to the mouth of the scooter. They are too large to be ate whole, in which case, scooters/mandarins do not have the mouth structure to be ripping and shedding amphipods to get them down. A sixline wrasse however definitely does, but they will also eat your other pods and starve out the scooter. The best option is to live with them.
By the way, Firefish ARE NOT gobies. Firefish are in the Ptereleotridae family, not gobies (gobiidae), commonly named Dartfishes. Which obviously includes the Dartfish seen in the hobby, some times called the scissortailed goby, and there's also the Blue gudgeon seen somewhat frequently.

S

smartorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/384116/need-find-a-amphipods-eater-fish#post_3363930
The reason the scooter doesn't eat amphipods is sheer physics. Look at the size of the amphipod compared to the mouth of the scooter. They are too large to be ate whole, in which case, scooters/mandarins do not have the mouth structure to be ripping and shedding amphipods to get them down. A sixline wrasse however definitely does, but they will also eat your other pods and starve out the scooter. The best option is to live with them.
By the way, Firefish ARE NOT gobies. Firefish are in the Ptereleotridae family, not gobies (gobiidae), commonly named Dartfishes. Which obviously includes the Dartfish seen in the hobby, some times called the scissortailed goby, and there's also the Blue gudgeon seen somewhat frequently.
My son has a motley schoal that includes, a firefire, a blue gudgeon, a pearly dart, two scizzortails, and a purple firefire. It's pretty amusing when they are out in full force!

lxxnp1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///forum/thread/384116/need-find-a-amphipods-eater-fish#post_3363953
my question is why do you want them gone. They are a good part of your cleanup crew.
I just don't like these little bugs, especially I put my hand in to the tank as well. It's OK If they are only in my sump. At least I can't see them.
It seems six line will eat amphipods. But my tank is not big, 28g nano cube. Is it too small to have clown fish, six line, firefish and scooter?

S

smartorl

Yes, but those little bugs are an intrigal part in you building a solid ecosystem. They actually represent a healthy tank.