need help chosing a grouper

drkdweller

Im thinking of geting a grouper for my agressive tank and saw
a boenack( blueline grouper) and a clown grouper at the LFS.
but before i buy i wan to find out how big these guys get
Also any one know of any small groupers imaybe around 10 inches know that sounds funny but a lot of them get huge

I

irenicus

Actually, don't panther groupers get quite big. I've seen some really huge ones.
I think there are only 2 or so groupers that stay a manageable size.

drkdweller

panther groupers get 14inches i know because i had a 10 inch one that i got when he was 2-3 inches, i had to trade him in when i had a crash, because i had to clean out the system and let it cycle again.

flatzboy

My neighbor has a blue-line grouper thats about 8-10 inches. He got it at only like 3 inches few years back and it grew like mad until the past six months it hasn't grow really at all.

chandler04

Panthers do get very ugly too, I take back wat I siad. My LFS offers this weird grouper, it is black with tons of tiny white posts all over its body. Looks kinda like a cross between a miniatus and a panther. He got realtively large, but not too big. Dont soapfish stay KINDA small? I have seen this one at the lfs for the past year, and is no longer than 7". I think they do get like a foot though...

lion_crazz

clowns get to be relatively around a foot in size. If you can find a cool variation of a spotted grouper, that would be nice. That is what I have in my tank and it only gets to be about 8 inches. Coney island groupers are pretty nice looking too. V-tails get way too easily stressed out for my liking.

lion_crazz

Both the blue line and blue spot groupers are interesting choices. Blue spots are unique because when they feel at home with their territory, they will be a dark brownish color, with blue spots. However, when they are unhappy, they get fully white, with the same blue spots.
Bumblebee groupers are nice too, but they get way too large for a small aquarium. I would also stay away from panther groupers and miniatus groupers. Panther groupers grow very large at a fast rate, while miniatus groupers are very aggressive, and tend to hide continuously.
Saddle groupers can be an interesting choice. They are more of a yellow, white, and black color. Like most groupers, they are aggressive, but I have seen many peaceable ones as well.
The soapfish, or golden striped grouper, is nice too. They are all black, with white/gold stripes down thier body. They do get to be about a foot as well, but their growth rate is much slower, and they are more of a peaceful grouper.
These are the most commonly offered groupers I can think of right now. If I think of any more, I will let you know.

bean 1

Have you considered the Hamlets. They are similar in appearance, diet, activity.....but stay relatively small in comparison to their grouper cousins. They won't get any larger than 5-6". I have a blue hamlet in my 46g and he's been a great fish and very beautiful as well. If tank size is a limiting factor, a hamlet might be worth looking into!
good luck..Bean

lion_crazz

Polleni groupers are awesome looking. I forgot all about them. The only problem with them is that they are more on the pricey side because they are considered rare.
Hamlets are an interesting choice as well. The indigoes and blue hamlets are very nice looking, and make nice tankmates.