need help.... cooling my tank

jmarkey83

hi everyone and thank you in advance for reading and any other info u leave for me if u do, its much apperciated.
my tank is way to hot right now 89.9!!! i live in california and its a hot summer but i have made it this far i can not afford a chiller right now, i will before next summer thats for sure.
so does anyone have any ideas to help me get that temp down......?
and thank you again.

meowzer

If you have lids...take them off.....put fans so they blow across the water....turn the time your lights are on down

jmarkey83

ok i do have lids but i also have a zebra moray eel, so i would guess something like egg crates or something in place of the lids?
oh by the way its an 80g tank has two glass lids. i also use a home made canopy to house the light to some degree. day time lights turn on at 930am and shuts down to lunar light at 930pm

jackri

Wow, during the summer maybe run your lights at night and off during the day as well -- but yeah fans, open top... tough to make it come down 8 - 10 degrees though.

drtito

Originally Posted by jmarkey83
http:///forum/post/3124748
and i also have 2 fans blowing it to try to keep it cool right now
Wow, it must be warm over there, I am in AZ its a 100 degrees i have a cooler going for the Room where the tank is and ONE fan blowing along the back of the tank, stays in the 80-82 degree range.
Do the egg creat thing like you said, with some time it should come down.
Good luck

adurost

Spanko made a great DIY cover using pond netting (sorry, I didn't try and find the thread for you). I'm in Hawaii and have heat issues/no chiller too.... Make sure that the fans are blowing across the top of the water, and get a small clip-on fan to blow across the sump if you have one too. Definitely shorten the amount of time that the lights are on, and pick times to have the lights on when you are home and can enjoy your tank!

nycbob

u need to vcut ur lighting schedule down. 12 hours a day isnt going to help with the heating issue.

Ok far fetched, idea I read somplace but it helped me in a pinch, I froze my top off RO and added them slowly for top off, it helpmed me knock down 2 degrees, not sure if its the best solution but it did work

calbert0

Whatever you choose to do make sure you dont change temperature more than one degree per hour... otherwise it could be detrimental to your livestock

salty blues

Remember also that powerheads and pumps contribute heat to the system so their usage and application should be optimized as much as possible.

bonerac

something i've done in the past was get a few bags of ice from the store and dump one bag in my sump brings the temp down slowly as one bag melts you can add another.it has worked for me with no ill afects on my tank.