need help deciding on a skimmer

reefrobber

i am settin up a reef tank that is a 40 gallon hex so i am definitely gonna need a skimmer i'm 12 so i can't afford a euro reef skimmer, and i need a back pack skimmer any suggestions and if you could include the price that'd be great thanks:D

footbag

I have a Seaclone and wouldn't reccomend it. People on this board say good things about the Aqua C Remora for that sized tank.

reefrobber

thanks i'll check that out, any other reccomendations would be appreciated i want to look at quite a few before i pick one

legion

I had a Prism and would say that it requires alot of tuning (lots of adjusting the flow) to get it to work correctly. I just bought the Aqua c remora myself. I t was the most reccommended by the members of this board and cheaper than the big boys.

aldog51

My seaclone 100 is working fine so far it is pulling out dry foam only after a 24 hour break in period. I got for 62 bukcs. At first bubbles in the water were an issue until i called tech support and they said the pump must be only submersed in only 2" to 5 " max depth of water. If any deeper air will go inside the water.

msd2

might want to take a look at the poll I started asking about people's favorit skimmer.

I

ivanfj

Originally posted by Legion
I had a Prism and would say that it requires alot of tuning (lots of adjusting the flow) to get it to work correctly.

Yesyes, the prizm is a pain the a$$ for me right now. It started to leak last week.

reefrobber

i found a red sea berlin venturi for 20 bucks but it still has six days left i'm still looking i looked at the euroreef and found a skimmer that wasn't a hang on for 100 something odd dollars for a ninety gallon if anyone is interested

reefrobber

today i went to the fish store and there was this powerfilter mixed with a protien skimmer in 1 that the fish store guy was telling me about, it must have been somewhat good because the guy that was telling me about had said he was installing one onto his tank and it was only 70 bucks (which is quite a bit but a good deal compared to other skimmers) it was called a slizer or something close to that does anyone have any experience with it?:confused: thanks

robchuck

Originally posted by reefrobber
...it was called a slizer or something close to that does anyone have any experience with it?:confused: thanks

Maybe he was referring to a Skilter?

robchuck

I heard some not so good things about it, and I've heard some really bad things about it.
My Skilter experience:
A local reefer was emptying out his closet recently, so I bought a grab bag of reef goodies from him. Included was a Skilter. As mentioned above, I never heard anything good about it, so one day I decided to pull it out of my closet and experiment to see how it would perform on my tank. For reference, my Remora skimmer pulls a full collection cup about every 7-10 days. I put the Skilter in place of the Remora for 10 days and got NOTHING in the collection cup; just some large bubbles in the bubble chamber. Back into the closet went the Skilter!

robchuck

It's generally a crummy skimmer. My experience with the Skilter demonstrated that it created large bubbles that never made it into the collection cup.
I have heard of people modifying Skilters to accomodate an airstone (basically turning it into a counter-current skimmer) and acheiving average results. The airstone helps to create lots of small bubbles which are needed to lift the dissolved organic compounds (DOC's)out of the water, and plus, smaller bubbles have more surface area for DOC's to attach.