need help deciding... wet/dry or sump

wrx777

ok, here's my current setup on my new 55g. as far as filtration goes... CPR BakPak skimmer(HoB), Ehiem canister filter, maxi-jet1200 PH, also have about 10lbs. of LR.
i eventually will have about 50-75 lbs of LR, and want a sump, mainly to put a skimmer, heater, etc. into it and out of the main tank. also add more h20 volume, better stability, all that good stuff that sumps can provide...
well my question is, should I buy a wet/ dry filter with bio-balls(or other bio filter) and get rid of the ehiem? I see this as "killing 2 birds with one stone", I'd be eliminating one piece of equipment and replacing it with another form of filtration, but adding a sump at the same time... right? and also, get a in-sump protein skimmer and sell the CPR.
also, as I get more LR, the need for Bio filtration is decreased correct? so once I'm up to 50lbs of LR, I could just remove the bio filter and only run chem and mech filters on the wet dry right?
please let me know if i'm understanding this correctly, or any helpful suggestions! I'm new to this hobby so still trying to understand everything correctly and get everything set-up the way I want, but I want to do it right the first time you know? is this a good idea or would I just be wasting my $$?
thanks for you help everyone!

trainfever

How much LR do you have right now? How many fish do you have in your tank? It's hard to say without knowing what kind of bioload you have? I would still go with a sump and maybe add some kind of bio material, ceramic rings or even a few bio balls. But it depends how much LR and how many fish you have. You may be good already.

jobob

adding a sump is never a waste of money. they add so much to the tank. yes i would get a wet dry, i love mine, i have it on a 55 and they are a little more work, but its worth it!
so once I'm up to 50lbs of LR, I could just remove the bio filter and only run chem and mech filters on the wet dry right?
im not sure what u mean? their really isnt any chem on a wet dry unless u add some. i personally dont, i try to be as natural as possible. only mech and bio from the rock. and a skimmer. def. get more rock. once u get more rock and the tank has been up and runnin for about 6 months then u can take the bio balls out of the wet dry. u know i think aquaclear makes a wetdry and skimmer in one. u mite wanna look that way, since u have to get a new skimmer anyway.

T

thomas712

I've used a wet/dry for a few years, then converted it to a sump. I have plans to change to a different sump completly. My preference is now just a plane ole sump, easier to work with, simple to maintain. Wet/dry's aren't bad either but they do take some work to keep clean.
Thomas

blemmy_guy

I use a wet/dry, and love it, but from what i hear sumps are a great way to go, especially if you have enough live rock and sand.. Ive read somewhere about mangrove plants in your sump, or refug. they help reduce the nitrates. but for all practical purposes on my 125 ill probly never change my wet/dry out, but im thinking about useing a sump on my 70 gal. So i think either way you would be fine. sorry i was so long winded, goodluck.
todd

jobob

i use my wet dry for the mech filter, i took the bio balls out, so now i just have a sump with a bio tower. if u wanna save money u can use a filter sock and a 10gal tank for a sump. once u get more live rock. i used to have live rock in my bio tower, but i took it out and put it in the main tank. so i would have more room to put corals. i have to get more.