Need Help Finding The Right Filter And Heater System

brandib

Hello All-
I recently started a 30 gallon fish only saltwater, I bought everything new except the filter and heating system (which my cousin gave to me). Or so I thought he wants it back and we are not really speaking now and I am new to the whole saltwater experience. I really need help to find a new filter and heater system and need input on which name brand and what type. I heard that I should run both filter system in the tank for at least 2 weeks until my fish get used of this new system. Thus far I have 2 Clowns, Goby, Scooter Blenny, 1 Shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, and 1 emerald crab. Any correct information is much needed. Thank you in Advance-

I have a 29 gallon fish only tank. We have a Penguin Bio-Wheel Filter (not sure of the size) and a Marine Land Heater (heater up 20to30g). We have had it set up for about 1 year, no problems at all.

dawman

The Marineland bio-wheel and Emperor filters are really good . I use these on my 40 and smaller tanks .
Also Rena , Fluval , Eheim ,and Cascade are some popular filters . Marineland , Jager , Theo , Rena , Azoo ,and Aqua Clear have some good heaters .

dawman

Originally Posted by Farslayer
There's no need to run both systems I don't think, what do you have on it now?

He can`t remove the old filter and put a new one in . Need to have both going a while for the biological to grow on the new filter .

dawman

Originally Posted by Farslayer
The biological filter should be on the rocks. Does he have any rocks/substrate?

He didn`t mention about having any live rock , so I take there isn`t any . Besides even if there is , it sure won`t hurt to have the new filter run a while with the old one .

farslayer

Oh, and that scooter blenny is likely not a good idea. They only eat pods (well, the only thing of value for them) and you don't have a tank large enough. I think the general consensus was about 100lbs of live rock with plenty of pods for them to eat. I've got about that, but I still don't have one since I don't have a sump to cultivate the little suckers safely.