Need help fish are dying !

clownme

I need quick help. Noticed small white specks on fish a couple days ago, so small I thought I was seeing things, woke up this am Flame Angel dead, can't fing my gramma. One of my two clows has white stringy stuff coming off him, the other, I am certain has thos little white spots. Here are my numbers,
Temp 78.4
Ph 8.2
Amm 0.2
Nitite 0.0
Nitrate 10 (or zero)
Ca 19
Kh 9
Phosphate 0.2 -0.4
sg 1.025-1.025
I am really lost here and don't want to loose my fish.
I have a 36 gallon corner bowfront, Lots of LR and LOTS of LS, no corals please help

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you may have ich, a marine fish parasite which is highly contagious. You also have ammonia which can be deadly.
Why do you have ammonia?
Take a look at the Diseased Fish Thread located at the top of the Disease Forum and look at the pictures there of fish with ich to see if that is what your fish are experiencing. Then go to the FAQ Thread, also at the top of this forum, and read the post on ich.
What type of tank do you have? Fish Only, Reef? Do you have live rock or inverts?

clownme

I don't think that I have ammonia in a large amount, meaning the test looked much closer to 0.0 but I think it had a slight tinge towards the next level on the gauge. I am leaning towards 0 for the ammonia. This is a FO with LR and LS no corals. I want to know if I move them to my QT is the process going to kill them or should I just try to treat the tank with medicine.
I looked at the thread you talked about. I can't tell. There are white stringy things coming off one of my clowns. ???

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Take a look at the clownfish with brooklynella in the Disesed Fish. Is that what your clown has?
You can't tell if your fish have ich?

clownme

I know it sounds stupid, but I have only had this tank since July. I have been meticulous about it and have not had a disease yet. So no, I am afraid I don't know what the fish has.
Should I be trying to acclimate them tho the QT or no and just medicate the tank?
I will look at the pics more and try to determine. Many thanks for your quick response. I will post a respoonse shortly.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Please don't rush into anything before we can determine exactly what the problem is.
Ich is a paraiste that will look like the fish has been sprinkled with salt. You may notice the fish itching, or trying to scratch against rocks. Shimmy or even breathing hard.
Brooklynella is yet another paraiste that you frequently see in clownfish. It will kill fish very rapidly. The symptoms are shedding of white stingy material, and very hard breathing. Is that clownfish a new addition to your tank?
Please tell me the size of that QT? And how many fish you have?

clownme

Hi Beth,
No, The clownfish are actually not a new addition to my tank, my flame angel and royal gramma were. The flame had been treated for ick at the lfs for about 30+ days before I brought her home, so thats why I was leaning towards ick. No I did not QT her, shame on me. My husband was so impatient, he wanted to get her into the main tank. Oh well, lesson learned.
I think I might be dealing with Brooklynella disease because I had to contact the LFS for medicament. Knowing the background of the fish they felt it was probably ich also. I transfered(drip acclimated) fish to the QT and began a copper treatment. This am....not lookin' good. The clown that did not have much going on, just the small white spots and some stuff on his fins looks very unhealthy now, as well as the gramma. I can't even find the other clown...hoping he's hiding. What should I do?

clownme

Well, unfortunately, all fish are gone. I attempted a copper treatment in the QT on Sunday, could not get Formalin anywhere yesterday.
I did some research and I found mentioned that I have to erradicate the parasite from the main tank, but it does not say how.
I am currently taking a microbiology class and my Prof will be helping me prepare some slides today to confirm Brooklynella. Any help and advice on the main tank?
I just wanted to ask....Is there anything else I could have done to prevent this from happening? I do water changes every 10-15 days of 4 gallons in a 36 gallon tank. My numbers are always 0, temp always 78.4 - 78.6. I am just really looking for answers.
Signed-
Depressed