need help fish dying

mbdiesel

im new to the forum. i have a 90 gallon FOWLR tank that has been going for 6 months now with mostly triggers and puffers. since the start i have lost 6 fish randomly, they usually die after a couple months in the tank. i have asked my LFS who also maintains the tank and they have no answer. the water always tests good, i have a sump filter system with protein skimmer, water temp is 78-80. i can tell when they are going to die as they start slowing down, lay against a rock or bottom for a couple days then there gone. please help

lmforbis

It is possible there is a disease in the tank If you haven’t been quarantining the fish. It could be inadequate nutrition, what are you feeding them? There is likely aggression going on. You tank is small for triggers and puffers, especially if you have multiples, that is a prime situation for aggression and stress. Do you have enough rock work for them to retreat into when they feel threatened?

mbdiesel

i feed them krill shrimp. not sure on the disease but the chromis and a couple others have not died since the start. yes i have alot of rock for them. i thought if it was aggression the chromis would all be gone

lmforbis

They need a more varied diet than that. I’m thinking aggression between the triggers. They don’t like other triggers.

lmforbis

High quality frozen food , a mixture of different ones meant for carnivores. Clams on the half shell, chopped up raw shrimp. i usually have 4 or 5 different frozen foods in the freezer that I feed on different days.