Need help on clown fish that went nuts

hilda

I done my tank up an made sure everything was right in my tank from a to z with it. Even checked the water an temperture of the water every day. So, the day came when I could get my clown fishes. I went to the pet store to get my maroon clown fishes. Brought them home an let them float in a bowl of water from the tank for about 5 min. Then added water to the bag that they were in. Alittle at a time. Then put, them in the tank.
Well, the one started chasing the other one around the tank, an
beating it up, for about three days. Then after that, if the little guy would even think about going near arock in the tank she would bet him up. So, he stayed away from everything in the tank. Everything was fine then. So, I got a pink tip haitian anemone an put it in the tank with the clown fishes. That, poor little guy didnt even go near the anemone, an she beated him up again. Then I brought home a blue linkia star. She chased that star all the way around the tank an knocked it off the glass every time he would get on it. She killed the other clown fish an my star all in one night. Then I put the anemone in a breeders box for fear that she would kill it to. That night she stayed by the breeders box. The next day I found her dead.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Clownfish are extemely territorial. My own clownfish will not even let me stick my hand in the water without viciously attacking me. Unless you have a mated pair, it is not really wise to have 2 clowns in the tank, unless it is a pretty large tank with lots of LR. You really need to observe clowns in the tank at the LFS to see if they are getting along.
Also, what is your ammonia and nitrite level? Seems to me that you are stocking a new tank way too fast. Anemones and linkas should only be put in well established tanks and handled by experienced hobbyists. Do you have correct lighting for an anemone? I'm not trying to shame you, but just help you understand some of the causes for your problems.

hilda

Lighting is 25 bulb, temperture on side says 82, an hydrometer
says 1.024.The pink tip haitian anemone, Is doing great in the tank . Since they been gone. Heck hes been eating shimp since they been gone. An if you dip it with tab everything should show between green an blue

barry cuda

Maroons are notorious for being more territorial than other species. Joyce Wilkerson's book says that two maroons will more often fight to the death instead of just establishing dominance. That could be the reason the first one died.
What brand of tests are you using? And do they give you any numbers to go with those colors on the strips? I think many here will be able to give you good advice, but having actual numbers to work with will help.

debnflo

From what I've read on Maroons, they are the hardest to get to pair in what most people think of the standard way to pair clowns. The best way to do it is let a single Maroon mature in your tank then add a juvenile down the road a bit (6 months-1 year). For some reason the Premnas (Maroons) don't usually pair up when two juveniles are introduced to the tank as most Amphiprion varieties will. Maroons tend not back off and will fight to the death.
I am sure that everyone's experience is different on this though.

jdogg2432

Part of the problem IMO is that your tank is way to small for 2 maroons. You may have had better luck if they were housed in a larger system.

hilda

I have a Bio Wheel Marine Life. Before geting this one.I was looking at one that was very long and Height was about 8 - 9 inches. But, noooo Hubby wanted the Bio one. As for the tabs I threw those away. They where the generic kind. Like elcheapo.
As for the juvenile it was the Adult one that killed him. I should of realized that they were the only ones in a QT Tank at the shop. You know a 5x5 Tank. Don't know how long they were together. Before I got them. Plus, I'm wondering if Oceanic salt, an the kind of sand I had had gotten. Reef Algae Sand.

hilda

Ok So how about how much higher should I go for in a 50 gal?
An should It be a Floresent one?

barry cuda

You'll need at least 150 to 200 watts to keep anemones alive, and metal halides would be better than any of the fluorescent types. Anemones house photosynthetic algae called zooxanthellae that provide a lot of their food, and without sufficient lighting they will starve.
As far as I know Oceanic salt is fine. It better be, cause that's what I'm using :D
So what kind of test kits *are* you using? Knowing exactly what your water parameters are is very, very important IMHO.

dcr

I had a false perc and a maroon in the same tank and they got along famously. They chummed around together until a purple lobster I had grew big enough to sneak up on the perc when he was bedded down for the night...

hilda

Some off the wall bargin brand that I thew out.
Now I have to find out, if two different types of anenomes will kill one or the other, or both. Pink tip haitain, an a Rose anemone. Ones from atlantic an one is from pacific. An thats if I decide to put them in the same tank. Still reading up on them an trying to get other persons opinion on it. Just llike the clown fishes, an starfishes. What about their food. I've been using spectrum by new life or should I try something else like Garlic x-treme made by kents, with shimp.