Need help on starting 220 gallon drilled aquarium

#1 Today, 06:45 PM
lucascoatney
Yellow Tang Join Date: Oct 2008
Need help on starting 220 gallon drilled aquarium

[hr]

Ok so recently I bought a 220 gallon aquarium from a man in clear lake. I owned a 75 gallon before so I am not completly inexperienced but this is the first aquarium I have that is drilled. There is three holes in the bottom of the tank 2 close to each other and 1 on the other side for the return. So I should have asked the guy when I bought it from him but the two holes close to each other are for the flex hosing going to the wet dry filter, but what I dont understand is how you keep the tank from emptying itself if the power ever goes out and the return pump cuts off. Someone told me to get oneway valves but that dosent make sense because it would have to be place so that the water would go down through it and that is useless for stopping the flow if the power goes out. I understand how the oneway valve for the return line works. also how do you keep sand or rock from flowing down the holes into my filter too. Do I just put a mesh netting over the holes or something? So I was wondering if I am able to fix this problem so that 220 gallons of saltwater doesnt pour all over my floor. Thanks for the help