NEED HELP! Orange Tree Sponge

Hey guys
I just bought a beautiful tree sponge about a week ago and it looks great. I have one problem. I want to be able to attach it to one of my live rocks but it came to me with a piece of rock already attached. It's hard fo me to properly stand him up in my tank since it does not have a llarge, stable foundation.
Anyone have any thoughts on how I can attach it to a large piece of rock without me damaging it by prying it from the real small piece it came with???
Thanks!

fretfreak13

Just wondering, can you maybe chip the rock it's on with a hammer or something to make it more sutable to fit to your current foundation of rock without damaging the coral? I don't know much about coral, I'm still new to the hobby, but maybe you cn glue the rock it's on to a peice of your current LR.

flower

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3148863
Just wondering, can you maybe chip the rock it's on with a hammer or something to make it more sutable to fit to your current foundation of rock without damaging the coral? I don't know much about coral, I'm still new to the hobby, but maybe you cn glue the rock it's on to a peice of your current LR.

This post looks so familiar, yet my answers don't appear...double post?
No matter what you do it has to stay underwater at all times...even a moment out will cause it to die. So that makes chipping with a hammer a bit hard to try.
I put mine in a cave, wedged into the rocks.
Try this. Lift up a rock and put the small rock the sponge is on, under it, the bigger rock should hold it in place.
I get the feeling that OP is trying to put the sponge right out in the open. sponges can't take algae growing on them, it kills them. They need to be out of the direct light in a cave or under a large enough ledge to shield it from light. That is what my books say, and that is what I have always done.

If someone gets on here to tell me their sponge is right out in the open...talk to me of how it doesn't matter in a year if it lives.