Need help planning for buying/remodling a car

mike22cha

Well my dad and I have been thinking about it for a year now, didn't think we'd be planning to get it for my first car. But we need some help figuring how much it'd cost/which would be the best route, etc.
The car we're thinking of is a Honda Del Sol. My dad and I both like the convertible look/feel, he likes the Del Sol becuase of it's rollbar, and it'd be more unlikely to roll than a truck he was thinking about at first.
Here's what I want to do with it:
-Get a new paint job: white with a pair of blue stripes going down the middle
-New wheels: Tires and rims
-New ********: Some blue/white leather would be awesome
-New Stereo System: Want a stereo system where I can plug in my iPod and stuff like that.
Well I may sound like a spoiled brat right now
, but I'm going to be paying for the upgrades myself.
Here's how the finances would go:
My dad pays for the car itself
I pay for upgrades and insurance
I'm wondering what pricing would be so I can better plan this out. This will probably end up a couple year project, so I can keep up paying for all these upgrades.
-I want new rims/tires for sure when we first get it. Don't want anything fancy, just something nice. We're thinking that'd be 1000$?

-A Paint job would be nice, but it could wait. But what'd be pricing on that? We're thinking of taking it to a Tech school where it'd take longer to do but it'd be cheaper. How much do you think the paint job would cost? I'll post a pic of the car that is inspiring all of this.
-Leather ********: Want a nice leather, preferably white and blue. I know that'd be more expensive. How much do you think?
-I don't want a big loud stereo system, but I want a nice one that can play my ipod and stuff. Again, how much?
Would it be cheaper to get like a '93 del sol that needs a new paint job realy badly and some ******** work realy badly for less than a thousand, or get a '97 white del sol that is in better condition?
I figured it'd be 5,000$ min. - 10,000$ maximum. Again this may be spread in a 4 year period before it's complete. Just asking and planning and thinking.
Here's my inspiration below.

socal57che

I would buy the one that needed the least amount of work to begin with. The older model may have more minor problems that will eventually nickel and dime you to death. Not saying that the newer one won't, but it's less likely. You can spend more on mods and less on alternators, starters, transmissions and the like. Websites like tire rack will let you do a virtual fitment of rims/tires that allows you to change paint color, which is cool if you plan to paint the car. Lots of places offer tire/wheel packages cheap these days. Google is your friend. A del sol car club would be a good place to find deals on body kits and other add-ons. A lot of people buy stuff only to change their mind and sell what they bought on a whim. They can also recommend reputable sellers.
It's cool that you and your pop are planning to build it together. Some of my favorite memories of my dad include the garage and cars.

You were a little vague on the age issue. How old are you, anyway?

fenrir

I like the Del Sol but for all of te things holy and good don't stick a fart can and a wing on that thing!
I am excited to see how this works out, so post pictures. I am about to start a similar venture.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2453687
I would buy the one that needed the least amount of work to begin with. The older model may have more minor problems that will eventually nickel and dime you to death. Not saying that the newer one won't, but it's less likely. You can spend more on mods and less on alternators, starters, transmissions and the like. Websites like tire rack will let you do a virtual fitment of rims/tires that allows you to change paint color, which is cool if you plan to paint the car. Lots of places offer tire/wheel packages cheap these days. Google is your friend. A del sol car club would be a good place to find deals on body kits and other add-ons. A lot of people buy stuff only to change their mind and sell what they bought on a whim. They can also recommend reputable sellers.
It's cool that you and your pop are planning to build it together. Some of my favorite memories of my dad include the garage and cars.

You were a little vague on the age issue. How old are you, anyway?
Well we're not going to be doing the modding and upgrading and paint work ourselves, I don't trust either one of us to do it. I'll goodle Del Sol club and see what I can find.
I just turned 15. We're probably going to start on it this summer, hopefuly I get to learn driving on it too.

reefraff

If you can score a car with white ******** already you can buy and install nice seats yourself. Stereo isn't rocket science either. Some of the suspension drop kits are DIY if your into that. If its available take auto shop in school, they are always happy to have students with cars to work on. You can do stuff like detailing the engine compartment and under carriege of the car that don't really cost a bunch but adds nice detail to the ride.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2453961
If you can score a car with white ******** already you can buy and install nice seats yourself. Stereo isn't rocket science either. Some of the suspension drop kits are DIY if your into that. If its available take auto shop in school, they are always happy to have students with cars to work on. You can do stuff like detailing the engine compartment and under carriege of the car that don't really cost a bunch but adds nice detail to the ride.
I realy wish we had an autoshop at school to work on!

We were thinking of getting the most of the work done on the car through an autoshop becuase it'd be a lot cheaper(paint job and maybe ******** we'll see how the car is).

luvmybizz

ok...this is coming from a person that has already done wat you are planning on doing(same situation, re-building with dad). All i can say is sometimes you will spend more than you plan on and if you want it done right and you are anal than you will definately spend more than you plan on!Patience and money is going to be a big factor in the years to come if u plan on going through with it!

aquaknight

I would say always start out with the best car you can. Unless you plan doing a complete strip/replace, there are typically reasons why that 93 with faded paint is only $1000 and a good one is more money. Usually the condition of the car, reflects the car mechanically (new'ish cars at least). If people just toss soda bottle and crap in the back, and never wash the car, you think they take the car for oil changes regularly? HA! Spending a tad more now will definitely save you $$ in the long run on replacement parts (what 57chev said pretty much).
BTW, I find it pretty ironical that the car you are planning to get and your 'dream car' are about as different as it could get. The dream car weighs about as much as 2 del sols lmao...

socal57che

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
http:///forum/post/2453901
Well we're not going to be doing the modding and upgrading and paint work ourselves, I don't trust either one of us to do it. I'll goodle Del Sol club and see what I can find.
I just turned 15. We're probably going to start on it this summer, hopefuly I get to learn driving on it too.
Kewl. And good luck.