Need Help! Please

fau8

For a fish only, a quality canister filter will do. But the addition of some live rock and small power heads will assist greatly.
The sump and fuge are great but not needed for a fish only set up.

noah's nemo

IMO canisters can be messy.For a 30 gallon an hob will do fine.I've been running 2 empreor 400's on my 75 for over a year.NP...

noah's nemo

If you can get mostly base rock.You will need some live to help seed it.Base can be found for a buck a pound at some places.Do you have an LFS around you

*****, petsmart, and petlan is all i know of. right now i have some decor rock that i got from www.247fishstore.com. when u get there go to the left and click on aquarium decorations and then click coral reef builder then click pre built reef and it will show u some of them. will i be able to seed that? by the way thanks so much for ur help so far.

noah's nemo

I'm guessing no.Do not know for sure,but i think the little tiny critters and such in LR need the little holes and cracks and crevices to hide in and such.You just need a few pieces of LR for the bacteria and some hitchikers,then they will spread to the BR.I say slow down a bit,maybe get some live sand and start your cycle.You won't be adding fish for awhile anyway(at least a month)trust me do this right ,you won't regret it.You'll be staring at an empty tank for weeks.

noah's nemo

Its lunch now ,i must go.Keep checking in ,others will be here to help.These are all JMO ,but its how i did mine and i'm going on alittle over a year with NP Good luck

paintballer768

Tangs are really expensive to put in a 30 gallon and have them kill each other. You could use an emperor 280 or two would be better. Its gunna be tough to keep the tank stable without that as the minimum.

L

lsu

Marks Marine(3465 Cedarcrest Ave) and Reef Coral(15224 Tiger Bend Rd.) are in Baton Rouge. They could easily answer your filtration questions and show you how to properly setup and maintain it. Marks tends to have a much larger variety of livestock but Ron at Reef Coral is much friendlier and will answer any question honestly even if it costs him a sale(Marks generally won't). New Orleans has a bunch of stores, Aquatic specialties, Ricks reef, and Coral Connection, they all have impressive selections. I'd stay away from the chain stores.