Need Help Stocking a 55

fastlane13

hey i got my 55 set up that i got for xmas i currently have 56 pounds of live rock, 1 choco chip star, and 1 panther grouper....the tank is still cycling, and im gonna get rid of the grouper..I know that im gong to get about 20 more punds of live rock and i need help on what i should put in it.......i was thinking a yellow tang, 2 black percs, a green mandarin, 2 bicolor pseudo or 1 spotted sweetlips...i know the sweetlips will grow to big but i will upgrade in about 4 years or sell him to my lfs when he gets to big

stuckinfla

First thing first.....SLOW DOWN!!! You should have NO fish in a tank that is cycling. Have you done research on saltwater tanks??

stuckinfla

NO MORE FISH...at least for now. And how can you tell what type of corals they should add without knowing their lighting??

fastlane13

too fast? wow ur cool yea i did reasearch and its cycling with a grouper...duh CYCLE im not gonna put any more fish in. I was wondering if you think it would all fit in the future my lfs said it would and they all have reef tanks but their not reef geeks like you that sit around and have tang police and critisize someone for going to fast when they arnt

stuckinfla

WOW......maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you know more than me. I should take advice from you!:rolleyes: Reef Geek? Thanks for the compliment.

mrmaroon

What kind of filtration are you planning. Unless you are running a sump with a very good skimmer, that may be to many fish. I have a 55g as well. I have two firefish and a rusty angel. Firefish are very easy to keep. IMO tangs and angels should come later when you have a lttle more experience. Generally, people will tell you that a 55g is to small for a tang. Your manderin will not likely survive. They are hard to keep and need a lot of copepods to eat. I would suggest starting with a clown and maybe a few green chromis. Those are all easy to keep. Do you plan on adding corals. Good luck and read a lot on this sight. You will find a lot of good threads if you do some searches.
Do you know what your water parameters are right now?

fastlane13

yea i have a 15 gallon sump and prizm skimmer up to 150 g and ammonia is 0 nitrate is 0 nitrite is about .3 ph is 8.3 salinity is 1.022 and forget the mandarins all i want is the sweet lips maybe a purple tang now and two clowns

smarls

Hmmm...why the harshness to Stickinfla? Seemed like REALLY good advice to me (ie - do not cycle a tank with a grouper, do not add more fish to your already cycling tank)???
If you already knew this "duh cycle I am not going to put any more fish in" (which would help explain your combatitive and condescending tone) then I think the question would become why do you then have a grouper in a cycling tank?
Your tank, your choice. But I think a little more restraint / politness would probably get you some better responses from the "reef geeks" for the free advice that you came here asking for.
As for your question on tank inhabitants...I think it will be overstocked.
Stewart

jacknjill

NO PURPLE TANG!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you must have a tang, get a yellow. even that is pushing it and youll have to upgrade eventually. purples need HUGE tanks. it will be miserable in that tiny tank

X

xoxox

Even a yellow tang is what I would consider a borderline 55 gal fish. Its not just how big they get but swimming room! If you have +++ lbs of liverock, then where is the fish going to swim?. I would never get a yellow tang for a 55 with anything more than 3 other fish (sizes such as clowns) and even this is pushing it IMO. Also, they are proficient poopers so have a good skimmer...

K

ky reefer

WHAT R U DOING CYCLING A TANK WITH A FREAKIN PANTHER GROUPER????:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: