Need help w/ new refugium

physcoben

Hello I have a 1yr old 90 gal reef w/ too much algae, aka, excess nutrients so i decided to delve further into this addicting hobbie and set up a refugium/sump, its 20 gal long tank, and i put 40lbs of premium live sand from saltwaterfish.com in it as the substrate and now i need some nutrient absorbing plants. they are hard to come by in my area, and was hoping someone here could help me. i'm open to any suggestions or offers.
Thanks again guys,
Ben:D

physcoben

first of all what the hell does bump mean and second of all i would really appreciate any help anyone could give me
Thanks guys
Ben

nm reef

Several members here actively trade and/or give away macro algaes....where are you at. Maybe somebody can help ya out. I normally harvest and toss several hands full every couple of weeks.:cool:

mbuckley

A refgium is an awesome addition to any tank. I recently set one up myself and find I spend as much time or more looking at it.
However if your just looking to get rid of algae you could try using a phosphate sponge. I'm pretty sure your algae is a result of excess phosphates (are you using RO water?). A good product is Phosguard and 1 bag will last a month to 8 weeks and do up too 55 gallons (you'd need 2). They simply fit it your filter.
You have to be careful if you setup a refugium through, because caulerpa requires some phosphate to grow. I add a sponge to my tank and within 3 days mine started to suffer badly....

physcoben

Hey I live in southeastern Mass, but if you or anyone were out of the area, were willing to help me out i would def pick up the tab on the shipment and poss give u a few bucks. I will drive quite a distance to get it also so let me know. by post or by email, my email is physcoben@yahoo.com
Thanks guys,
Ben;)