Need help! Want to revive my lobo.

M

mhayes462

I need any advice/experience in bringing my lobo back to good health. I have a biocube 29 with stock lights and a 20x1watt led fixture behind the stock bulbs. It sits at the front with the 36watt 10000k above it. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Hayes

snakeblitz33

What are your water parameters, including salinity and temp? Nitrate, phosphate etc... calcium and alkalinity would help as well.
What kind of flow do you have going around it? Are you feeding it at all? You may need to upgrade your lights and improve your water quality or else you might loose it.

M

mhayes462

Guess I shoulda said I bought it like this at a discount from my Lfs. I love these corals and didn't want to see it rot away. So it is new to my tank. It was in kinda low lighting in the tank it was in. My params are good. Not sure on alk though as I don't have a test for it. I have other corals that are doing great. I am going to try and feed it. Does it look salvageable?
Mike Hayes

snakeblitz33

I do have experience with rviving coral and I am trying to help you, but you haven't given me much information. Test your water and post your actual parameters. List your equipment and tell us some of your maintenance routine. Tell us more about your lighting system, exactly what it is and how many watts total. Then We can form some way to salvage the brain. unless you do those things, I can not help you.
If you have Lps corals, or any corals you should learn how to balance and maintain calcium, alkalinity and pH. It's the responsible part of the hobby.

M

mhayes462

I appreciate the help. I replied to your post last night. It did not get this way in my tank. My tank is a biocube 29 with bioballs removed. Media basket w/filter floss+pura pad on top, purigen in mid, and cpe on bottom shelf. Fuge basket with chaeto. Heater In 3rd chamber, with maxi-jet 1200. Loc-line y on return with two return nozzles, one pointed up to the surface and toward the front left corner, the other pointed down the back behind my rock. I have a 250gph powerhead on the intake side, halfway down pointed up to the surface and facing the front. There is good flow in the tank, but not too much where it will blow the sand around. I have a 36w 10000k bulb in the hood at the front, a 36w actinic in the middle, and a fixture with 20x1watt LEDs over the rear. Temps stay around 79. Params are ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, ph 8.2. I don't dose anything. I do 5g water changes a week.
Mike Hayes

M

mhayes462

Oh yeah, salinity is 1.025. And the exact led fixture is the Marineland reef capable 18-24" led. 18x1watt wight, 3x1watt blue. 1305 lumens.
Mike Hayes

btldreef

I think in your setup, with routine water changes, it should be ok. I do recommend that you get an alkalinity and calcium test.

M

mhayes462

My light cycle is actinic bulb on at 10:30, white and LEDs on at 11:30. White and LEDs off at 9:30, and actinic off at 10:30. Is this light ok for it right now? Or should i give it a little less light until it adjusts? The tank it came out of it was sitting on the rock work about midway up the tank.
Mike Hayes

btldreef

Since you have it on the bottom that light cycle should be fine for it. The big thing to watch for is skeleton showing.

M

mhayes462

When I looked today, there is no flesh damage and no skeleton showing. And it was puffed up more today. I did my pwc today and I fed the tank before I did it so when I attempted to feed the lobo I wouldn't have the rest of the inhabitants going for the food. I shut everything down and spot fed it some pellets while the water was down and lights were out. Man! It responded well! The bleached side responded almost instantly swelling up big and taking the food to the mouth, then the other side swelled up about ten minutes later and the mouths opened and ate. It has about 4-5 mouths on it. So im thinking this is a good sign. How often should I feed it like this? My light cycle is ok for it? Thanks for the help
Mike Hayes

btldreef

Light cycle is fine.
That's a great sign that it accepted food that easily.
I would try some meaty foods, not pellets.

M

mhayes462

I have frozen mysis and brine. Is that ok or do I need to pick up something else? How often should I try to feed it?
Mike Hayes

btldreef

Try every 3 or so days to start. If its feeding tentacles come out when you're feeding your fish, just squirt some food towards it as well.