Need Help with setting up fuge/sump for 72

dcel22

I want to set up a sump/fuge for my new 72 gallon. Can anyone help me out with knowing how much of a GPH rating I would need on a return pump. How many return holes I should drill in the tank. Diamater and locations of all the holes?
Does anyone know of a write up online on exactly how to connect bulkheads up with locline or what not if this is the correct terminology. I would like to use locline for the returns.
Thanks,
Joe

dskidmore

The raw GPH isn't as important as the power curve. Some pumps push a high GPH, but can't push that water very high. You want to find the power curves for your potential pumps and see how much GPH they push at your "head" distance. (Head distance is the diffrence in water lines in the display and sump.) If this is your only tank ciruclation, it should run around 750 GPH (after head decrease.) If you have other circulation, subtract those from 750.
As to return hole location, it's a matter of prefrence. Some people put them in the bottom of the overflow, for low-visibility. Some put it through the back of the tank, most just put it over the back.
The overflow is the one that has to be drilled, or a hang-on overflow used. Drill either in the bottom of a well-sealed overflow box, or if you're using just an input strainer on the pipe, drill just beneath where you want the water line to be.
I am not familiar with the term "locline." The bulkheads I am familiar with screw over the hole in the glass/acrylic with a gasket between the two pieces. The bulkhead itself then has either standard PVC threads or a standard PVC slip fitting.

dskidmore

Looks like there are parts available to convert from locline to mipt (male somthing pipe thread, standard PVC thread.)