Need help with tank set-up

reef-er

Well first of all HI to everyone. I am new here..
Right now I have a 58gal reef tank that has 60lbs of live rock and LS base. It has 3 percula clown in it now and has gone through it cycle.. I am now planning on getting a second tank. I previously had a 180gal in my first house but I just moved a few months ago and the smaller tank is just not cutting it for me.. I am thinking of going with a min. of 240gal tank but I am mixed on what set-up I should go with. Should I keep a small reef tank going and use the larger tank for Larger fish or should I concentrate on one tank and make it one large reef tank?
I love both ends of the spectrum when it comes to fish. So that is why it is so difficult to make a decision.. Help me with the pros and cons to a large reef tank? I had a fairly large Agrressive tank in the past and I know what is involved with that but I am not sure what is involved with a large reef tank. Cost is not an issue just any other things I may not know.. I do know it will not be cheap..Thanks in advance..
Tom

fshhub

welcome aboard TOM,
if you have the space and resources, i'd have both as you mentioned, maybe the 240 as a fowlr and the 58 as a reef to learn on, then if you really enjoy it, it would be almost nothing to go reef too in the 240, you'd already have the bio filter going on and the rock to build a reef on
just an opinion

biggdriver

Just another thought..I saw someone who had a 300g setup that was 1/2 and 1/2..Let me explain..There was live sand and rock throughout the whole tank but he siliconed a plexiglass divider in the middle..Holes were drilled to allow water flow between the chambers..That way he could have Corals on one side and not so coral friendly fish on the other.He also had siliconed a mirror to the back of the tank to make it look bigger and gave the reflections of the fish and corals being almost together..Altough you might want to check and see if a mirror back piece of glass is salt resistant..I never kept in touch to find out how it went.///Just a though anyone got any comments on the setup I was just curious

ocellaris_keeper

I probably will get a number of disagrees on this one - but a reef tank can typically become a more closed environment than fOWLR tanks. You can create the reef tank with minimal filtration once your tank is aged and if you use the right filtering scheme you may only have to add water when it evaporates. the phlenom system with LR/LS and a sump tank will give you the right filtration to keep the tank closed.
Read a little about this system and you'll find it's the easiest to maintain.

krusk

Folks
I'm new to this hoppy
fowlr = fish only with live rock ?
is that right? I'm learning
please educate me.

fshhub

yep, krusk
in the top right corner of the page is asearch option, i recently posted on that was titled "slang assistance", look for it, most of the lingo is there
HTH