need help with used sump setup

briguy350

I just got a used 75 gallon tank with a 15 acrylic sump. Right now it has the bio balls in it which I plan taking them. It also has some protein skimmer that hangs off it. I don't know what brand. I don't want the sump to go to waste and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a new one. The right side were the bio balls are is sealed. I plan on buying a better skimmer to go inside the sump. How can I turn this into a nice setup?

geoj

The baffle that separates the right from the left normally has a hole in it so if water goes in to the right how high will fill before it drains over in to the left? What skimmer and how much water must it sit in to work?

acrylic51

The compartment that houses the bio balls can be easily altered......I'm curious though. The compartment that houses the bio balls, I know the top drip tray (plastic plate) that sits over top the bio balls should be removable.......I'd remove the bio balls and see if the tray that the bio balls sits on is removable as well. My thinking is that it is removable, but would like to verify before we go on........
Another key thing here with altering the sump is start your research as far as what skimmer you'd possible like to add to the system. This will be a key issue when it comes to laying out the inside sump compartment sizes when the modifications are done.......

briguy350

I know the pictures arent very good. There is a plastic piece with a bunch of holes in it that slides back and forth over the bio ball chamber. The wall that separates them stops about 2 inches from the bottom of the sump. It's hard to see but there's some plastic grate holding the bio balls off the bottom. There's enough room for me to remove it to get the balls out. When I get home for my break today I'll take some demensions and add a few better pictures. Then maybe we can start looking into skimmers. Thanks for the feed back guys. I'd like to have this thing up and cycling in a few weeks.

acrylic51

Cool deal.....The top plate over top of the bio balls will need to be removed along with the bio balls and then the bottom plate removed as well.......

briguy350

You I know think I'm just gonna be to much to try and convert this thing. I think I'm just gonna sell it and have somebody make me DYI out of a 20 long. That would probably just be a better idea in the long run. This just came with the tank so I thought I'd try and work with. Now I have to find a decent in sump skimmer for a decent price.