Need help with what size pump to get.

scubamedic

I just finished my new sump/refugium and now need to figure out what size pump I need.
First let me tell you what I have. I have a 58 gal FOWLR for the most part. I have a few mushrooms. I have a SeaLife Systems overflow off of one of a wet/dry. I'm not sure what size the overflow tube is but it is over 1". I measured it and it was somewhere around 1 1/8" maybe or 1 1/16". That was the inside diameter. I also has a 1" bulkhead fitting. My point to all this is that I am not sure what the max flow is. All of this goes down to a broomer special rubbermaid sump/fuge. :D
Now let me tell you what I want to do. I want an in sump pump that will feed the fuge and 4 outputs in the tank. I may also want it to feed my canister filter on occasion but I'm not sure on that. Probably not though. I thought about coming out of the pump and putting a "T" in and feeding the fuge (with a valve) and then have the rest go to another "T" feeding the 2 left outputs off of one side and the 2 right outputs off the other.
I know I should keep the elbows to a minimum.
I also need help on which pump to buy. It seems most people have good look with the mag drives so I was thinking of a mag drive 950 or 700. I don't want to go to big, but I can always put a valve in to back it down. I also don't want to go to small. Nothing you can do there except wish you would have gotten a bigger pump.
Thanks to the board for all of the help and inspiration you have given me. It really looks like I may actually do this one right the first time thanks to everyone here!!

S

sebae0

i agree with you and people on this board about the mags they are a great pump. i got a mag 12 and it is running great with no problems yet.

dive1

I suggest a mag12. Put T in the output cycle extra water back to sump. Backpressor on pump will wear it out. This will also give you xtra pump if you add on or have another need for another outlet. Also gives you more flexability in adjusting flow.

I'm pretty sure that with a gravity feed on a 1" drain that you can get a max flow of 400 GPH so you may want to base your pump size on that. Also, I'd recommend having a T feed your refugium from the drain and not the return from the pump. You'll be better off letting the critters and algae in the refugium get first crack at the organics and take some work off the skimmer and other possible filtration. Happy Holidays!
Myk.

scubamedic

Thanks that is some good information. I have tried to figure out what the max flow is but I can't find it on the web site.