Need Help

ohiosaints

Hello i am interested in starting a tank, but i know nothing about how to do it. so can anyone give me some advice on how to start, what to read, etc. i want to start out good i dont want to go out spend all kinds of money if i kill everything off thanks for any help i receive

spafeature

Read Read Read Read.
Visit LFS and spend some time reading threads here so you can decide what you want before you start to spend $$.
Ask a lot of questions.

who dey

welcome to the hobby ohio!!
Hardware: subject to change depending on tank size
tank
stand
filter either hang on back, or wet-dry
heater
lighting
test kit for ammonia, ph, nitrate, nitrite, calcium, alk.
power heads
protien skimmer
bio goods
Live Rock
Live Sand
most important which will be the most important factor in the above info. is are you going with a reef tank or fish only tank??

ohiosaints

i will go with whatever a beginner should start out with. honestly i know nothing about it but i have been wanting to do it for a couple of years. so in your opinion what should i start out with

1journeyman

Start off by getting Fenner's book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". Amazon has it. GREAT book to start off with.
From there you will get a better idea about the type of tank you want to start looking into.
Welcome to the boards and grats on picking a great hobby!
PS Just be willing to be very patient... this hobby is sloooow

who dey

well, i'll tell you what.... i just helped a friend of mines mother set-up a 20 gallon high and she is hooked on the hobby.
here's what i had her get.
Penguin 200 gallon per hour. hang on the back filter
maxi-jet 400 power head
submersable heater
coralife power compact light set up with combo white and actenic 65watts each bulb
test kit
35lbs of Live rock
2 bags of live sand
this set-up is for a reef
if you want to plan a fish only tank, you don't need the powerfull lighting :happy:

1journeyman

depends...
Lighting for reef tanks is probably the single costliest thing you can buy.
After that, depends on the size of the tank.... but in all honesty your monthly budget will definitely notice this hobby...

who dey

Originally Posted by ohiosaints
what would u say the price is to start off i dont want to go cheap i want to do it right
let the fun begin :D
this hobby is not cheap....my 55 gallon is 3 months old and has already cost me over $2000
tank w/stand: 75
filter: 30
powerhead: 20
heater: 20
thermometer: 7
lighting: 80
live rock: 6/pound
live sand: can't remember... wasn't too bad

drew2005

Definitely not cheap...
tank & stand - $500
wet/dry filter - $180 (i think)
protein skimmer with powerhead, air pump & plumbing - $325
live rock - $3.99 per lb (70 lbs total) $280
live sand - around $20
heater - $25
lighting - $200
misc stuff - test kit, salt, ro water, etc. - at least $150
Thats $1,680 and i have no livestock yet

Im sure i left out something.

who dey

Originally Posted by WHO DEY
let the fun begin :D
this hobby is not cheap....my 55 gallon is 3 months old and has already cost me over $2000
tank w/stand: 75
filter: 30
powerhead: 20
heater: 20
thermometer: 7
lighting: 80
live rock: 6/pound
live sand: can't remember... wasn't too bad
remember all that pricing is for a beginner 20 gallon!!!!
i'm scared to list the pricing for all the sh%* i have because it makes me cry, but then again i look at my tank anad it makes me smile!!

sato

Your best bet would be to poke around the actual stores near you and get a feel for the retail price of eveything first then maybe go online and search things out.
It would be easier to have an actual person and all the items you need physically near you though.

just1nk4ng

Originally Posted by spafeature
Read Read Read Read.
Visit LFS and spend some time reading threads here so you can decide what you want before you start to spend $$.
Ask a lot of questions.
yes i agree reading reading reading reading is very important in this hobby trust me you wont regret it
heres a site that helped me out pretty useful a lot of information on how to setup your tank how to cycle all the basic needs
http://www.reefsources.itgo.com/
P.S. get a big tank