need id of spider web like stuff

tax lady

I have stuff that looks somewhat like spider webs and just plain old dust in my tank. It has spread like mad. Soemone said it may be worms, but I don't see any worms. My camera died so can't take pic, but if someone will tell me what they think it may be I can google it and see. It is covering everything!!! Please help.

nycbob

i cant remember the exact name at the moment. it is some type of worm inside a tube. it spins web like string to capture food. it can multiply quite fast if food source in the tank is abundant. having many of them in a tank is a sign of overfeeding.

fretfreak13

Yep, vermetid snail. They're harmless in the sence that they wont delebertly kill anything, but as you see they breed fast and sometimes their webs irratate coral

tax lady

Searched Google. It doesn't look like anything I see there. But it is unsightly!! Allover the place. looks like dust and webs. Just in case it is that worm thing, what would take care of it. I want to blast it out. Give me some suggestions. It has also stopped some of my corals from coming out.,,ex, my star polops.. Help

meowzer

If you find teh shell the worm lives in...you can either crush it, or cover the opening with epoxy
they are not bad to have.....they are actully filter feeders....just clean the webby stuff off
I have a few...they never get that bad though

tax lady

I really want a way to eliminate them!! I still don't know if they are really those worms...|It just looks like all the rocks, filter, thermometer, corals are jst covered with dust and webs.
Doesn't anyone know of a way I can get rid or this?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Tax lady
http:///forum/post/3194641
I really want a way to eliminate them!! I still don't know if they are really those worms...|It just looks like all the rocks, filter, thermometer, corals are jst covered with dust and webs.
Doesn't anyone know of a way I can get rid or this?
LOL...I told you how in the above post...
Do you see any tubes that look like these?
Attachment 236201
Attachment 236202
Remember they can be on the underside of rocks too

tax lady

No, can't see any tubes at all. And the web are not long like that either. I can't eliminate them by crushing them cause they are no worms that I can see. Is there anything else that I can kill it with? If not, will have to just have to scrub w/ toothbrush and water changes.
Funny it seemed to start when I was gone for a week and [put in a pyramid feeder. could that have done this?
Thanks for all the info. I am just at my wits end with this.
and through it all, my clowns spawned!!! (first time) go figure. But don't see any eggs any more. Dont' know what happened to them.
But that is a good thing, huh???

tax lady

Thanks Meowzer...for the info. Will stick to water changes.
about the eggs. Only 1 other fish, emerald crabs though.

If it is vermetid snails than be careful since the opening of their tubes are very sharp. You can use super glue or epoxy to trap them in the tubes. I've tried snapping them off with needle-nose pliers and they just grow back.