Need ID on Two Things

patandlace

Is this hair algae? It is all over the glass and there is also some on the rocks.
There are at least 3 of the hitchhiking worms. What are they?
Thanks for the help!!!
Lacey & Patrick

my way

I can't tell on the first pic, but the second is a britle worm. I suggest you get a magnifying glass for ID'ing small stuff. I have a couple at varying strenghts. It makes it easy to get a good look at the little things.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Shnabbles
Ya just dont try to pick the brittle worm up with your fingers.

...yep, they are also referred to as fire worms.

Use tweezers if you decide to remove one.

reefman22

THATS what I had in my tank!! I saw it last night and by the time i got a flashlight to get a better look it had gone in the rock. Can you give me some info on them, nocturnal? how are they helpful? can they harm and fish or corals? P.S. I hope im not hijacking your thread, patandlace, cause im pretty sure you are learning something too lol thanks guys
REEFMAN

bigarn

They seem to come out in greater numbers at night, but you can see them during the day also if you hit it right. They're great at cleaning up waste matter in the tank. There have been reports of really large ones bothering corals but IMO it's rare. I've never heard of a bristleworm attacking or killing a healthy fish.

A

arsanc

Quick question....I have read many times not to handle bristle worms but there have been times I have picked them by hand because by the time I would get tweezers they crawl back into the rock. I've occasionally got a slight uncomfortable spine that I pull out but nothing major. Is there something more that I should be aware of that could happen?

alyssia

Originally Posted by arsanc
Quick question....I have read many times not to handle bristle worms but there have been times I have picked them by hand because by the time I would get tweezers they crawl back into the rock. I've occasionally got a slight uncomfortable spine that I pull out but nothing major. Is there something more that I should be aware of that could happen?

I don't think their is anything to worry about, with the exception of having an allergic reaction.

alyssia

Originally Posted by bigarn
They seem to come out in greater numbers at night, but you can see them during the day also if you hit it right. They're great at cleaning up waste matter in the tank. There have been reports of really large ones bothering corals but IMO it's rare. I've never heard of a bristleworm attacking or killing a healthy fish.

I agree. I have alot of bristeworms in my reef and seahorse tanks and I don't have any problems.

pyro

if you do a google search on algae you can probably find a breif explanation and a pic of common types of algae.
Hair algae just looks like short (1/2" appx) green hairs. Normally in bunches.

bot587

bristle worms are some of the best detritivores around... however i dont like haing em in my tank just for the sheer reason that my hand seems to go in there at least once a week...