Need ID Please, Live Rock Balloons

vesuvan

These have been growing for about a month now, and are now about an inch across. None of the fish, crabs, or snails seem to want to eat it so im wondering what they are now. There are two of them, that have grown together to touch now. They look like jello, jiggling around in the flow. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

oceana

not sure what those are but you may want to pluck out that urchin depending on what type of tank you plan on going with

fishgeek01

i have them in my tank as well, i beleive they are some type of macro algae, mine do not get very big, maybe the size of a smooched pea, but there are about 8 or 9 in one area on one rock

oceana

Originally Posted by TOMELVIS
Are you talking about the marroon colored items. Those look like the tops of aptasia to me.
that is one thing i can 100% say they are not.

vesuvan

Originally Posted by oceana
not sure what those are but you may want to pluck out that urchin depending on what type of tank you plan on going with
Urchin? I am unaware of any urchin, or even purchasing an urchin....

I am wondering what these things are...They have never moved, they just get bigger, and more jello like. They used to be two small ones, that then grew and are now pressing together. They are very soft, and very easily popable.

oceana

Originally Posted by Vesuvan
Urchin? I am unaware of any urchin, or even purchasing an urchin....

this my friend is an urchin. just as you did not buy those little red things they are common rock hitch hickers. i could be wrong due to pic quality but IMO it is a tiny urchin. i know it was not what you asked but i thought i just though i would let you know since when they get big they can be a pain in a reef tank

bojik

Originally Posted by oceana
this my friend is an urchin. just as you did not buy those little red things they are common rock hitch hickers. i could be wrong due to pic quality but IMO it is a tiny urchin. i know it was not what you asked but i thought i just though i would let you know since when they get big they can be a pain in a reef tank
Looks more flat than sphereical and its imbeded into he rock. Looks like a dead coral skeleton to me.

teen

Originally Posted by Bojik
Looks more flat than sphereical and its imbeded into he rock. Looks like a dead coral skeleton to me.
i agree

oceana

if i look close i guess it could be a the skeleton of soemthing like a doughnut. i guess if its still there its not an urchin lol

fishieness

yeah, the "urchin" is def a coral skeleton.
and im guessing that the "fuzzies" are some type of spounge. however, the species i cannot give you. sorry. but they wont harm anything and will die as nutrient levels decrease in your tank.

xdave

I think its sponge. I had those ( exact same color too) and none of my fish that like macroalgae ever touched it. That of course proves nothing.