Need ideas on how to heat my saltwater mixing station........

acrylic51

I've had my mixing station built and just been running RO water in it for curing and treating the LR water....I'm nearing the stage of being to collect water actually for the DT and curious how I should go about heating the water......
I'm not using traditional Brute cans, so just dropping a glass heater inside doesn't exactly fill the need......

This is just 1 of my mixing vats.....As you can see it's roughly 5' tall and has a large manhole in the top. Dangling a glass heater inside with the water curing in my mind spells disaster at some point with the heater always being tossed around and banged, and see glass shattering at some point. I have thought about seeing how far I could actually get my hand down into the container and seeing if I could get down deep enough to possibly suction cup the heater to the side, but still real no assurance the heater would stay attached as well......

My other thought was to use titanium heaters and not worry as much about them being bounced around....Rather expensive for saltwater mixing....Another option was using an inline heater, but haven't found to much as far as inline heaters......
Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated!!!!!!

flower

Hi, AWESOME contraption!
Why are you wanting to heat the water at all? Salt mix does best cold, according to Bang guy or Spanko. (one of them that told me that)
You can use a plastic heater, and there are also plastic sheaths that go over glass heaters, they were made because fish bang into glass heaters and break them. Marineland brand I believe.
Hope that helps.

acrylic51

Thanks Flower!!!!! I got 2 of these for my mixing station....I have 1 that is slightly smaller which will be used for strictly RO water once the tank is up and running, but for the near future both will hold and mix saltwater.....Yes it's getting super close.....
I understand that saltwater mixes better cold/cool, but I also know that salinity will change as well with temp.....I might be wrong or at least why do refractometers either compensate for temp..........
My big issue is that I don't want to dump cold saltwater into my system.....I guess initially it doesn't really matter since nothing will be in the DT except rock and the rock doesn't know any difference, but where the problem comes into play is during water changes.....We all know that you want to match the water change water with the temp of the DT, and thus is where the need really comes into play for the water to be heated....Not during initial mixing...
I've thought about the plastic heaters, but kinda picky about what I use, and long term use per say.....Another is price....The ones I've looked at aren't cheap and as I mentioned question their quality. Plastic shields or not, I don't think they will provide tons of protection from being bounced around inside the big vat....Not worried about fish at all getting to the heaters since no fish in the vats.....DT will utilize titanium heaters only. I have looked at I think it was the in line Fluval heaters.....Again still pretty price for what I want them for......

marvelfan

Funny you should start this thread. I was thinking about whether or not I need a heater for my mixing station. Seeing as my plan is to have it change 1-gallon of water a day. I did some calculations and such on my 29 to 120 gallon Upgrade thread. Might be worth checking out. I'm trying to think of a good way for you to heat your water. (I could picture your container sitting above a giant bunsen burner
.. lol.
I wonder if there is a way to wrap a heating blanket around the tank or something of that sort that would keep it warmer. Just trying to think outside of the box a little.

acrylic51

I like your thinking....Not sure my insurance agent would like the idea of a giant Bunsen burner lit in the house though......
Maybe on a small scale water change the temp difference might not be really significant, but on a regular water change, I could see it honestly making a difference....I have followed a thread over on RC where guys with gas hot water heaters are plumbing into the water heater to heat the water......Sorta like a geo thermal setup.........

snakeblitz33

A titanium heater might be the best solution.
You could look at some large commercial heaters. I had two of them at one time. Each rated for 5,000 gallons. I wish i still had them, id send one your way.

bang guy

I also like the idea of a titanium heater being as absent minded as I am. The cost really isn't much more than borosilicate is it?

2quills

Shawn, have you checked out any of the (point of use) tankless hot water heaters lately? Could plumb it in on the output side of the pump and only needs to turn on when the water passed through it so it's fairly efficient.

snakeblitz33

I have an idea... why not go solar?! Pump it up to your roof and let the sun heat it up a bit.
You could use a uniseal and an external pump for the mixing and pumping to your tank and various other applications. Having an external pump really helps control where everything goes - and it makes it a lot easier to replace in the future if necessary.
If you ran an external pump you could use a larger in-line heater more easily.

snakeblitz33

If you REALLY want some SERIOUS heating power - look at "Titanium Inline Pond Heaters." Retail value $900-1300 lol
Something smaller would fit the bill, but maybe looking at in-line pond heaters might not be a bad way to go if your water storage reservoir is in a cold area like a garage.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/394288/need-ideas-on-how-to-heat-my-saltwater-mixing-station#post_3509420
I have an idea... why not go solar?! Pump it up to your roof and let the sun heat it up a bit.
You could use a uniseal and an external pump for the mixing and pumping to your tank and various other applications. Having an external pump really helps control where everything goes - and it makes it a lot easier to replace in the future if necessary.
If you ran an external pump you could use a larger in-line heater more easily.
Solar would be sweet, what about in the winter though, do you think we would get enough passive heat from the sun.

snakeblitz33

in Canada - heck if I know! In Louisiana... SURE!
I know that solar hot water heaters are pretty common in hotter areas of the US. Even in Winter... I think that most heaters utilize a glass panel on top to trap in heat. So, I honestly don't know if it would work in your climate or not. Just trying to throw ideas out there.
And, I'm not really sure if I would recommend pumping saltwater to your roof. LOL!

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/394288/need-ideas-on-how-to-heat-my-saltwater-mixing-station#post_3509421
If you REALLY want some SERIOUS heating power - look at "Titanium Inline Pond Heaters." Retail value $900-1300 lol
Something smaller would fit the bill, but maybe looking at in-line pond heaters might not be a bad way to go if your water storage reservoir is in a cold area like a garage.
Dang.....I wish I had your deep pockets!!!!
Good idea on inline pond heaters....Have to check out Aquatic Eco shortly......Maybe Tractor Supply as well........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/394288/need-ideas-on-how-to-heat-my-saltwater-mixing-station#post_3509403
I also like the idea of a titanium heater being as absent minded as I am. The cost really isn't much more than borosilicate is it?
A friend of mine suggested the same things.....I'm with you I don't trust myself with glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/394288/need-ideas-on-how-to-heat-my-saltwater-mixing-station#post_3509404
Shawn, have you checked out any of the (point of use) tankless hot water heaters lately? Could plumb it in on the output side of the pump and only needs to turn on when the water passed through it so it's fairly efficient.
I haven't even thought of that idea......Could you honestly dial them down that low.....I had look at 1 for the master bathroom, but that's about all I did was look......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke
http:///t/394288/need-ideas-on-how-to-heat-my-saltwater-mixing-station#post_3509408
What about those Hot water on demand heaters Shawn?
I guess great minds think alike.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers
http:///t/394288/need-ideas-on-how-to-heat-my-saltwater-mixing-station#post_3509416
I was ganna say the same thing. Sounds cool but expensive. You shoud be able to rig it your RO/DI unit. I would think anyhoo
I know guys that warm the water going into the unit for production increase, but my main concern is water leaving the mixing vat cold.....

kiefers

where do you plan on putting mixing vat?
I see your in PA so in the garage would keep the water cool more than likely, but in the house would be another story. The water would still me warmer than if it were in the garage in the winters and the water would be fine in the summers. Is that clear as mud? Lol
I beleive I need to go to bed.
Location location loction

F

fishhugger

If you're concerned about how the salinity changes as the temperature increases, you should measure the salinity of the water when its at the temperature it would normally be stored at, then heat it up to your tanks temperature and measure it again. Then just compensate accordingly.
Out of curiosity, how many gallons is that container, and how large is a regular water change for you. Are you looking to heat that entire container up before you do your water change? Or, just heat the water leaving the container.
Hydor makes an inline heater for relatively cheap, but I cannot attest to its quality :/....I've read decent reviews on it. Even if it was good though it probably wont heat the water up in one pass, so you would have heat the entire storage before doing a water change.

acrylic51

Tank isn't running yet....My initial game plan is small daily water changes, but there will be need for larger water changes.....Not so much worried about salinity change, just I don't want to go to do a water change and the temp is off.....I'd prefer the entire container heated.....That vat pictured will hold roughly 200 gallons......Not looking for compensating or heating up at the moment....When I get free time, I want to be ready to do my water changes, not really sit and measure and adjust.....To old and to far into it to compensate that this stage of the game I'm thinking......

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/394288/need-ideas-on-how-to-heat-my-saltwater-mixing-station#post_3509437
where do you plan on putting mixing vat?
I see your in PA so in the garage would keep the water cool more than likely, but in the house would be another story. The water would still me warmer than if it were in the garage in the winters and the water would be fine in the summers. Is that clear as mud? Lol
I beleive I need to go to bed.
Location location loction
I guess I never posted any pics of my mixing station......I probably didn't I've been way to lazy with the camera as of late.....Yes in Pa, and right now the highs are 10-15 degrees during the day time.....No the water vats are actually located in my laundry room which is on the back wall of my fishroom....

F

fishhugger

I dont mean constantly measuring your salinity every time you do a water change. Just an example, if your water is stored at 60degress and it's 1.025, and then you heat it up and its reads 1.020, then just store your water at a 1.030 to get it at 1.025 at the proper temp.
NOW I'm not saying it works exactly like that, and in fact, I DONT know how it works, but you did mention that the salinity changes with water temp, which is the only reason I brought it up =P
And with the storage being in the house, I doubt it would make any drastic difference anyways.
Anyways, I have no suggestions for heating.