need info from you gun buffs

pontius

I would like to know as much as you can tell me as far as year, model, and any value. I bought this for $50 from a co-worker who found it in his mother's attic.
it is a Smith and Wesson .32, 6 shot.
the side of the barrel appears to say "30 LONG OTG". the number under the barrel looks like 111108. the number behind the cylinder is 52135. on top of the barrel, it says:
"Smith & Wesson, Springfield Mass USA. Pat'd March 7, 1884. August 4, 1896. December 22, 1898. October 8, 1901. December 17, 1901. February 6, 1906."
there is some rust on it as you can see in the pic, but operates fine. the box of rounds looks pretty old too but there is no date anywhere on the box. Thanks.

meowzer

LOL...IDK anything about guns, but my husband said he will triple your money...LOL
He actually says you got a pretty great deal in his opinion.
Is it single action or double action???

pontius

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3066591
$50 bucks? You are kidding, right?

nope. He found this gun, a .32 gun made by "US", and a .22 made by "H & R".
I've been hoping to get a gun for inside the house (I got rid of a .22 Ruger and I have a .40 Glock in my car) and Smith & Wesson was the only one of the three that I'd ever heard of, so I told him I'd give him $50 and he said ok. I knew it seemed like a good deal for an old S & W and didn't figure he'd take, but oh well. it's got some rust so it shouldn't be worth much anyway.

tr1gger

The revolver itself is identical to the Military & Police model (later called the Model 10) except it is chambered in .32-20 rather then .38 Special.They were made between 1915 to 1940 in a serial number range running from 35,701 to 144,684.Value depends on condition, but an example with a perfect bore and chambers, O.K. mecanics, and at least 95% original finish is worth about $300.00 give-or-take.

t316

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/3066593
nope. He found this gun, a .32 gun made by "US", and a .22 made by "H & R".
I've been hoping to get a gun for inside the house (I got rid of a .22 Ruger and I have a .40 Glock in my car) and Smith & Wesson was the only one of the three that I'd ever heard of, so I told him I'd give him $50 and he said ok. I knew it seemed like a good deal for an old S & W and didn't figure he'd take, but oh well. it's got some rust so it shouldn't be worth much anyway.
Don't shoot that gun

It's worth a minimum 4 times what you paid. If the last stamped patent date is 1906, could be more. There are tons of Smith & Wesson revolvers out there, but very few six chamber .32's. I'll look it up and try to find out more for you, but that's a keeper, not a "for the house gun".

pontius

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3066592
LOL...IDK anything about guns, but my husband said he will triple your money...LOL
He actually says you got a pretty great deal in his opinion.
Is it single action or double action???
it is double action

pontius

Originally Posted by tr1gger
http:///forum/post/3066596
The revolver itself is identical to the Military & Police model (later called the Model 10) except it is chambered in .32-20 rather then .38 Special.They were made between 1915 to 1940 in a serial number range running from 35,701 to 144,684.Value depends on condition, but an example with a perfect bore and chambers, O.K. mecanics, and at least 95% original finish is worth about $300.00 give-or-take.

Don't shoot that gun
It's worth a minimum 4 times what you paid. If the last stamped patent date is 1906, could be more. There are tons of Smith & Wesson revolvers out there, but very few six chamber .32's. I'll look it up and try to find out more for you, but that's a keeper, not a "for the house gun".
Cool. Thanks for the info. let me know whatever you can on it. when I got it, I figured it was probably worth a couple hundred. don't know about the rarity of it, but it's definitely got some rust along the left side of the barrel and the edges of the cylinder.

reefforbrains

Next post should read:
It HAD some rust on it, but then I ________, then sent it off to ________ and he put a new _______ and _________ on it.

[hr]
I sent you a PM as I didnt want to post links in open board.

tank a holic

on most smith's when you lay the cylinder open, there's a number stamped above the hinge, thats the model number
you can run a search on it and find out more

tank a holic

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/3066608
Next post should read:
It HAD some rust on it, but then I ________, then sent it off to ________ and he put a new _______ and _________ on it.
cleaned, the gun smith, trigger and grips

t316

There's a lot of info. out there on the web, but yes, it appears to be some type of MP model, made in the early 1900's and was issued to servicemen in the war. These were not uncommon for .38's, but it was for .32's with six chambers.
One thing that keeps coming up is that there were a bunch of cheap European knockoffs that made it over here around that time, and those also had the Smith & Wesson stamp on them. Not likely that this is one of them, but could be.

reefraff

Dude, the guy said he found these?
If thats the case you probably better have a cop run the serial number to see if it was stolen. 50 bux ain't worth the hassle you will go through if for some reason you even get checked.
As long as it isn't hot 50 is a good deal with the rust on it. I don't know if a 6 shot smith is a collectors item but it is worth checking into, find out before you try to remove the rust. You might be able to swap it for a good home defense gun and maybe a little cash or bullets too.

t316

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3067828
Dude, the guy said he found these?
If thats the case you probably better have a cop run the serial number to see if it was stolen. 50 bux ain't worth the hassle you will go through if for some reason you even get checked.
As long as it isn't hot 50 is a good deal with the rust on it. I don't know if a 6 shot smith is a collectors item but it is worth checking into, find out before you try to remove the rust. You might be able to swap it for a good home defense gun and maybe a little cash or bullets too.
But if it turns out it is, he will confiscate your gun. Goodbye 50 bucks

Seriously though, I doubt that it's stolen. He said it was in an attic. It's more than likely the service revolver from a long deceased relative who was in the military many years ago. Even if it turns up to not be worth much more than you paid (although I'm sure it is), I would hold on to it.

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3067844
But if it turns out it is, he will confiscate your gun. Goodbye 50 bucks

Seriously though, I doubt that it's stolen. He said it was in an attic. It's more than likely the service revolver from a long deceased relative who was in the military many years ago. Even if it turns up to not be worth much more than you paid (although I'm sure it is), I would hold on to it.
If there is more to the story than "I found it" and it was left in an attic or something then I wouldn't worry but make sure you have the sellers name and address.
If you can still get the 22 H&R it is probably worth grabbing too, Harrignton and Richards was around a long time, gotta be worth 50 to take a shot on it having collector value. I'd check the other one to see if it said more than just made by US. I don't think the US repeating Arms Company, AKA Winchester ever made handguns but I could be wrong. If they did I bet it would be worth some serious money.

pontius

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3067849
If there is more to the story than "I found it" and it was left in an attic or something then I wouldn't worry but make sure you have the sellers name and address.
If you can still get the 22 H&R it is probably worth grabbing too, Harrignton and Richards was around a long time, gotta be worth 50 to take a shot on it having collector value. I'd check the other one to see if it said more than just made by US. I don't think the US repeating Arms Company, AKA Winchester ever made handguns but I could be wrong. If they did I bet it would be worth some serious money.

I won't go into what my co-worker and I do for a living, but I have absolutely no fear whatsoever of being checked, arrested for a gun, or having a gun confiscated.
no ncic info came back on any of the 3 guns. if any of them were ever stolen, the original owner is likely to be long dead by now anyway. I am just 100% certain that my co-worker did not steal them and is very unlikely that his mother stole them. he found the 3 guns and the rounds in a leather zip-up bank bag with the logo of a bank that has been closed for several decades.
I will check on the other guns. I know another co-worker bought one of them, but not sure which one. the one gun, at the top of the grip, has a circle/metallic logo thing that says "US" in large letters. and another 2 co-workers both said they had heard of US guns, so it is definitely a US gun.

reefraff

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/3067945
I won't go into what my co-worker and I do for a living, but I have absolutely no fear whatsoever of being checked, arrested for a gun, or having a gun confiscated.
no ncic info came back on any of the 3 guns. if any of them were ever stolen, the original owner is likely to be long dead by now anyway. I am just 100% certain that my co-worker did not steal them and is very unlikely that his mother stole them. he found the 3 guns and the rounds in a leather zip-up bank bag with the logo of a bank that has been closed for several decades.
I will check on the other guns. I know another co-worker bought one of them, but not sure which one. the one gun, at the top of the grip, has a circle/metallic logo thing that says "US" in large letters. and another 2 co-workers both said they had heard of US guns, so it is definitely a US gun.
As long as you ran the numbers and they are clean good deal. It's just "finding" guns where you don't know the history who's to say someone didn't steal them then stashed them and forgot about them or went to jail and left them behind.
The US logo in a circle doesn't ring a bell. During the big one (WWII) even singer sewing machine co made guns so it could be from anyone