Need Info =|

bicolorgod

Hi all, I'm a bit new to your board, but read a LOT hehe
I researched MILLIONS of articles and such (millions, i mean it) and am going for a '2 tang 1 bi color' tank.
I do have fish experience behind me, but not with these 3 individual fish.
Im wondering about a couple things:
1. Shrimp, Crabs, and anything thats NOT a fish scares me. Need some info on cleaning stuff? =)
2.Can I put 2 Yellow tangs and a Bi color together?
3.I want a fake reef tank (Because coral and rocks are.. eww) tank, will they like this type of environment?
4.LETS Say i choose to purchase some rock. What if I find nasty critters in it? I'll probly get rid of the tank! Anyway to get these pesky critters outta here?
5.Would this be good: a long tank, half coral, half just SAND...?
People, PLZ respond!! ty

I really have no idea about anything that you have asked, but I didn't want to leave you without any responses! It sounds like a great idea, it could work, it might not. If nobody with real answers responds, just do what you feel like and if it doesn't work out, then sorry that I couldn't help out more!!!
)
~~Megan

clayton

Sorry to hear you have not had any responses - keep checking the board as they will come.
As for keeping two yellow tangs together, you should not do it. Yellow Tangs are highly territorial and should be kept either singlarly or in groups of 5 or more. I am not saying it is impossible to keep two, but you are probably asking for trouble.
The angel should not be a problem.
As for 'nasty' critters, most of them are good. All copepods, amphipods etc. that will colonise in your substrate are good and generaly inevitable. You will find it virtualy impossible to keep your tank free of algae and these organisms.
If you want to try and keep a sterile tank purely just for a few fish I would recomend using an algacide, UV steraliser and a copper based treatment to keep down some of the usefull organisms that you do not want.
If this is the case there is no point buying living rock.
Please do not use dead coral as decoration as the trade in this has had major effects on living reefs.

kris

I don't understand exactly why you had trouble getting responses to these questions they aren't exactly difficult---Don't do a reef tank, you obviously don't want anything to do with the stuff that comes with it (like all the creatures!!!) So just do a f/o with the standard c. coral and fake decorations in your long tank and then you, your yellow and bi-color will all live happily ever after. You sound as if you think the reef stuff is a requirement for fish-keeping??? Not so. Good Luck

reptilicus

Hi,
if you get a big enough tank you can keep multiple yellow tangs. If you're tank is 120-gallons or bigger, you will be able to keep 3, and if you introduce them at about the same time and they are about the same size you shouldn't have any problems. As for the bicolor, they are a nasty fish if you want to keep any other pygmy angels. They are apparently really hard to keep alive, I've only kept one and it lived for years. However, once it was established it was not very fond of any new additions, particularly dwarf angels.
Just get some fake coral skeletons, a nice layer of crushed coral sand and you will have a great display!
Regards,
Tom