Need new Protein Skimmer, any suggestions

mspad

I was thinking of buying a G-2 protein skimmer. Is this a good unit for a 125 gallon fish only tank?

al mc

MSX is probably superior to the ASMs. I have used ASMs for some time and like them. However, if you do go with an ASM go for at least a '3' series for a 125 gallon.

yearofthenick

Hey Al, the ASM G2 is rated for 200 gallons... why would it be better to get a G3 at 300 gallons?
I ask because I was going to get the G2 for my 120g tank. isn't a G3 a little overkill?

mikeu

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the manufacturer's rating. The G-2 would be a bit small IMO. ASM doesn't make a bad product but the MSX line of skimmers are the best bang for the buck skimmers out there right now

al mc

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2707966
Hey Al, the ASM G2 is rated for 200 gallons... why would it be better to get a G3 at 300 gallons?
I ask because I was going to get the G2 for my 120g tank. isn't a G3 a little overkill?
I go with the theory that it is aqlmost impossible to 'over skim'. I started with a skimmer rated for the size of my water volume, but found that a switch to one rated for 1.5-2x the actual water volume did a superior job for very little extra money. Also, we all tend to add water volume to our systems over time...a sump, a refugium, a larger tank. Go with a bigger skimmer. You will not be dissapointed.