Need opinions on VHO light configuration.

samsonny

First off, hello to all. Interesting board (especially the shark threads and Cincy's set-up! Very nice).
Anyway, can you guys give me opinions on VHO lights and a set-up I want for my tank (before I spend the $$$).
The tank is 8' long x 40" wide x 24" high.
I'm considering four 6' bulbs running across the entire top which will be mounted to the center lid (canopy has three lids) with bulb racks
OR
twelve 2' bulbs mounted in each separate lid (4 per lid) with stand-offs.
For ease of installation (and less $$$), I'm leaning towards 6' bulbs. If I ever want more lighting, I can add 4 more 6' bulbs to the bulb racks.
BUT, I don't know if most of the light will be directed into the tank or disperse inside the canopy IF I don't use reflectors. I can't use reflectors with the 6' bulbs but I can use them with the 2' bulbs.
What do you think? Will the internal reflectors (URI bulbs) be enough without reflectors?
I currently have N.O. lighting. (Ten 36" strip lights of 30w each. 300 watts. But each with a fixture and reflector inside the fixture.)
Will I see a VERY noticeable difference even with the four 6' bulbs versus my current set-up?
Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Here's what the two options look like:

enomadra

I run the URI bulbs. I run 4 - 36" bulbs with the internal reflectors, and no external reflector (well not exactly true I have aluminum foil taped to the top and sides of the canopy). I am running the 30w each bulbs and it is just enough to keep my corals alive. I will be switching to the 95w bulbs this month but only using 3 of them. I can say that I noticed a big difference in the amount of light output from one of the URI 30w bulbs vs. a standard 55w PC. The URI was brighter. The internal reflectors on the URI's really do work great.
Hope this helps
:)

One thing to consider is the availability of 6' bulbs. i have never seen them in my area, but I have online, however none of the online retailers will ship them.
Also, the internal reflectors on the URI's do work quite well, however in my canopy I painted the ******** an ultra gloss pure white latex enamel and its awful bright in there. I have never used any external reflectors nor have I felt the need to.
If it were my tank, I would go with the 24" bulbs. A couple reasons come to mind:
1. With three lids that open, using 6' bulbs could pose as a roadblock if you need to get into the tank through only one of them.
2. Like I said, availability of the bulbs.
3. With using 3 setups of 2x24" VHO on each of the three canopies, you could create a very real lighting cycle. You could simulate the sun moving through the sky with three set ups like that. IMO a very cool effect.
4. 24" bulbs are far less easy to break than 6' bulbs . . . this then relates to number 2 above.
Just some food for thought . . . :D

samsonny

Thanks 007. Good reply. Gets the hamsters spinning that wheel. :D
I'll be buying everything on-line (either Premium Aquatics or Marine Depot). I've had good experience with Premium (chiller) in the past but, Marine has free shipping (> $175).
Both sites have the bulbs.
You're right about the roadblock issue. I have to open the left and right canopy (they have lips that overhang onto the center) before I can open the center. But, my goal (a while back) was to not have to open the canopy or go into the tank at all and I pretty much have it like that now.
Point number 3 is very interesting. I'll have to think about that one.
My canopy is white acrylic. Don't know what effect that will have if I don't go with reflectors.
Again, thanks to you both for the replies.
Richard.