Need opinions

kimber27

I'm going to the lfs tomorrow to purchase my 1st piece of coral, I was thinking of getting a hairy mushroom, any suggestions? I just got my new lights, 260 watt PCs. My tank has been up over a year but I've been changing it slowly into a small reef tank by adding live rock and getting new lights. Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!

beachlife

welll.... with your PC lighting you are a bit limited, so most people say.......... But I have made a beutiful Mini-reef in my 29gal with PC lighting.... With PC lighting I would go with softer corals like polyps and mushrooms they are pretty tough too...
Good for beginners.... And fairly cheap.....

reefnut

I have that same lighting on my 55g Softie/LPS tank... you can have a very nice looking tank with those PCs.
The hairy mushroom would be a great starter corals!! Good choice!!
How long have the new lights been on the tank??

kimber27

Thank you Reefnut
I just got them yesterday. What are some of the corals you have in your tank? We have a pretty reputable lfs in Nashville and they have a small display tank with pc lights but there is so much there and the store is so busy on Sat. I thought it would be best to go today with something particular in mind. I have about 25 lbs of live rock and about 30+ lbs of base rock. Since my tank was already cycled I've been adding live rock slowly and so far so good. I ordered some coral vital, and all the other reef additives this weekend but I've been using liquid gold pro plus and have had coraline algae showing up. If they still have some hairy m'rooms I am getting them today.
Thanks again,
Kimber