Need skimmer advice

1journeyman

Hey all,
Ok, I'm switching jobs.. so I get to move my 210 gallon.
So, I've got a new 180 drilled tank I'm going to move everything to. I've been using an Aquamedic Turboflotor HOB.
With the new tank I'm putting in a 90 gallon sump. I need suggestions on a good skimmer.
Thank ya. It's been a crazy summer, but looking forward to getting back in touch with you all.

reefchem

For a tank this size, check out the Reef Octopus skimmers. They've been receiving rave reviews, altough I have not used one yet.

1911_guy

I personally use a Euro-reef and love it. They are high end and make skimmers for very large systems. I have also heard very good things about AquaC skimmers. Lifereef makes custom skimmers to your personal specs if you want to go that route. Hope this helps.

acrylic51

Octopus skimmers are very nice and have had good reviews......EuroReef skimmers are very nice, but wouldn't say they are --- for tat high end skimmers....If you want high end look at H&S, Deltec, BubbleKing, Schuran,
Depending what your price range and placement of the skimmer are: I would recommend a ASM before a EuroReef only due to price.....Just take a look at a properly sized skimmer in EuroReef for that setup.....it's insane, and the EuroReef is no better than the ASM.
If your looking at Beckett style skimmers to skim large quantities of water quickly you should check out MRC or Barrs'. Barrs' use to have a long lead time, but company was sold so don't know if the lead time got any better, but MRC will custom build anything you want and are rather impressive skimmers.......The nice thing about MRC is that the skimmer can grow with you and your system....It's not like all the other skimmers on the market that if you upgrade to say a 300 gallon tank you have to junk the old skimmer and start over or buy another and run 2 skimmers. You would just contact MRC and buy a new riser and the skimmer size and capacity is increased.....
You can run either single or dual becketts on these skimmers and that's totaly up to you....Alot of people will tell you, that you need big, pressure rated pumps to run becketts, and that just isn't true.....People haven't done their homework......A dual beckett skimmer can be run off of a Mag 18 and it will produce foam like you've never seen before.