Need some advice please

solarris

Hi everyone. I am hoping to set up a reef aquarium in my home and have a couple questions. I have never had an aquarium before but ever since I got my scuba liscence a few years ago I have been dying to. :happyfish
First, I have been thinking about setting up a 55 gallon glass aquarium, however, I have 2 small children, 1 and 3 years old, and my husband is worried about them tapping on the glass with something and breaking it. Is this a valid concern? :notsure:
Second, I called an aquarium dealer and was informed that they do not ship aquariums smaller than 90 gallons. Is there a big diference in the amount of money you would have to invest to start a 90 gallon aquarium vs. a 55 gallon?
Thank you so much for any advice anyone might be able to give.

rbrockm1

I don't think the kids will be a problem. If you want a reef yes the money is a big diff, but with no reef you could get away with more things and take the cheaper route but the 90 will be more $ either way.

scotts

First off welcome to the board. :happyfish Since this is your first post you also get the dancing banana

OK if your kids are hitting the aquairum hard enough to break the glass you have bigger things to worry about. :scared: But really you do not want your kids hitting the glass anyway, it will scare the fish and may stress them out enough to kill them.
As far as the money from a dealer, can't really help you there. Also I bought my tanks a while ago so not real sure about pricing. Since you are not in a hurry you should look at the classified section here and in your local papers. You can get a great deal on a used tank. I know I did.
HTH
Scott

tankyou

Tapping on the glass is the least of your worries, you've got a host of issues with small-fry ranging from them pulling the tank over on top of themselves to actually falling in headfirst and drowning! :scared:
Use alot of care anf forethought in situating your tank. Also make sure its got a good childproof (if there is such a thing) cover, kids love to throw or pour all kinds of stuff into tanks.