Need some advice!?!

I have gotten varying opions on this topic, I was just wondering if maybe I could get a better idea. I have had my tank up for over two months, since I dumped all the water out and started over, before my levels were always perfect, but with my new fish and water I can never get my ammonia and nitrites all the way down. My ammonia is at .7ppm and my nitrites are at .15 ppm. Some people say that it is terrible to have any ammonia, and some say that the level is small enough it is just fine. Should I be very worried about my levels, and will they ever go to 0 ppm? Thanks for your opinion in advance!!
~~Megan

clayton

Yes be worried. You can combat the nitrate later but the ammonia is very concerning. By the end of month 1 the filter should be mature and ammonia 0.00. Cut down your feeding for now, until you work out the cause. Can you provide more info megan??

Well I don't really know very much about my tank, just I had it set up for seven months with a domino, yellow damsel, and percula clown, they all got sick and died, and I didn't know what by so I took everything out and washed it really well, pretty much started over, then I refilled the tank and waited a couple of weeks and then got a sharp-nosed puffer and false gramma, and then a coral banded shrimp. My tank is only six gallons, but with my old set up, my levels were always perfect, and now I can't get them all the way down. This new set up has been running about two months, and everything stays stable but not at 0. I checked today, and my nitrites were at 0ppm, but the ammonia was still at about .7 ppm. I feed one cube of frozen food every other day, when with my old fish I feed frozen and flake twice a day. I am seeing if I can get a bigger tank as my fish are growing a little big, but that could be another month, and only if I can find the right materials. Thanks for the help!!!!
~~Megan

bicolorgod

Hmm, it sounds to me like some of the cleaning 'junk' are in the tank now. Wait a bit, and see if it clears up.
-Scott (Yea yea, i'm no expert!)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Did you say a 6 gal tank??? You will never be able to keep a marine system going on a 6 gal tank! Especially since you are a novice in this hobby.
Either get a bigger tank [at least 20 gal] or think about getting a fresh water beta for your 6 gallon tank, rather than trying to keep marines.
Also, get yourself a good book on marine aquariums so you can become a bit more knowledgeable. You need to achieve zero ammonia and zero nitrites; which I don't think you can in such a small tank with the amt of livestock and volume of food you are feeding.
Good luck.

clayton

Don't give up Megan but you do need a bigger tank. Anything under 30g is just too unstable.
For now the best thing to do is to change 15% of the water every 3 days. Use water thet you mixed 24 hours previously.
Unfortunately very few fish will survive in that sized tank for very long.

Fishgirl, I did just fine in handling the challange of keeping a small tank, my fish were quite happy. They now live in a larger tank, (because I am going to be gone off and on over the summer and it was too hard for my pet sitter to take care of the little tank.)so you don't have to worry about my puffer's unhappiness anymore.

fishgirl

Sorry I over-reacted a little (or alot, whichever you prefer!) When I see a potential problem with I fish I get so excited about it that I fail to realize I might make the owner feel irresponible or something, which I know you, Megan, are not since you care enough about your fish to ask and anwer lots of questions here on the board! My apologies!

[This message has been edited by Fishgirl (edited 06-04-2000).]

krazzydart

your tank would be O.K. if it were for a reef tank(i have a 5 gallon reef on my desk) with a few hermits and a snail,,,, a few polops,,, dancing shrimp and 3 lbs of live rock...........

windex

ive been contemplating getting a 6 gallon tank. (one of those eclipse tanks you see everywhere) Ive heard 2 different opinions, one is that its impossable, the other is with the little bit i want, it is deffinetly do-able. what do you guys think? heres what i intend to have in it...
some live rock (of course), an ameba or feather duster (i know the spelling is wrong), 2 damsils, and depending on how well the above goes, 1 other small fish or a banded shrimp
obviously the tank comes with a filter (will it be enough), a standard heater would be needed to, (ive been through everything ive needed at least 100 times, so if im forgeting something here ive probably thought about it, just forgot to put it here) but will i need anything special that i have not heard of?

windex

sorry about double posting but could anyone that replyies to my previous post e-mail my the reply as well? (windex@ductape.net)

angel eyes

Originally posted by windex:
ive been contemplating getting a 6 gallon tank. (one of those eclipse tanks you see everywhere) Ive heard 2 different opinions, one is that its impossable, the other is with the little bit i want, it is deffinetly do-able. what do you guys think? heres what i intend to have in it...
some live rock (of course), an ameba or feather duster (i know the spelling is wrong), 2 damsils, and depending on how well the above goes, 1 other small fish or a banded shrimp
obviously the tank comes with a filter (will it be enough), a standard heater would be needed to, (ive been through everything ive needed at least 100 times, so if im forgeting something here ive probably thought about it, just forgot to put it here) but will i need anything special that i have not heard of?

I have similar concerns! I want to start off a 20gal aquarium with just 1 or 2 pairs of sea horses. From what I've read it should work.
Dwarf sea horses are no bigger than 3inches at maturity..

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to this, I have been out of town lately. I had the eclipse 6, and was able to keep a clown and two damsels in it for quite awhile. I was told that it was impossible, but I spent alot of time taking care of it and watching for problems, and if you are observate, it is not too difficult. I don't know about being effiecient lighting and filtration, it worked for me, and I felt it was easier than trying to put all of that together myself, I figured that it would work alot better if someone else did it for me!!!

betheru

I have the 6 gal Eclipse tank...mine is fresh. I have had a problem with it getting several cracks along the rock line.... Only have an inch of small gravel, 2 small plants, a small rock to swim through and 2 little neons (daughter's tank). Marineland has been great about sending out replacement tanks, but I have been disappointed in the tank itself. Do with this as you wish... I originally thought the tank would be a neat addition (I have 2 other Eclipse tanks).
Originally posted by windex: