need some help from a pro

rip_em

Iam just now getting back into salt water iam an old school tank owner
which back in the day all we had was a pump some under water filters and a power head
ive been checking out some stores and see all the new stuff that they have out
now i need your help money is not an issue here but i do want the best for my tank
i spent a ton of cash in the old days and nothing would live past 3 weeks
my wife and i would like a REEF tank with some live Coral and fish.
my tank size is 75 gallon which is not bad if were starting up again i think
now as far as Equipment what do i need?
to keep these things alive for a long time
as far as items that i need can i have name or company who makes theses items so i can purchase these things this week to start up.
thanks and some of you guys have some real nice tanks cant wait for mine.

mandarin w

Hello, and welcome to the boards, Yes there have been alot of changes since the old days. A many new ways of doing things. As far as setting up your tank there are two main ways to do this. I take it your 75 is not a RR (reef ready- means not drilled in the back to drain the water from your tank) if not you are open to two options,
1). use canister or hang on the back filters. This option is ok.
2). Use an overflow on the back of the tank, This will bring the water down to another tank under the "display tank". This option is always best. It allows most of your equipment to be out of view, you can use bigger, better equipment that you would otherwise be able to use. and it adds water volume to the 75 gallons you already have. This is referred to as a sump.
A good idea would be to see what all this equipment is. Go to a LFS(Local Fish Store), inform them that you are researching what a sump is, and how it works, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT let them talk you into buying any thing at that time. Unfortantly LFS have a very bad reputation of selling junk unnessary equipment to newbies. You just need to know what we mean when we say, sump, fuge, skimmer, over flows, etc.
As far as equipment goes. If you decide on the "sump" type of set up. You will need:
A smaller tank for the sump - one that fits nicely under your 75 in the stand.
Over flow kit - to get the water down to the sump
Protien Skimmer- This pulls waste out of the water. fish poo etc. A corallife Super Skimmer is good, ASM g-3 is better, euro-reef are also very good. Stay away from sea clone, skilters these are total junk.
Good powerheads - add needed circulation to the tank. At least 2 maybe 3. Maxi jets are good, Seio's better, Tunze best
Heaters- it is best is use two. If you need 300watt heaters, then use 2x 150watt. example.
A good RO/DI unit- this hooks up to your in house water souce, and will clean your tap water so it will be pure enough for saltwater aquarium use. This is $120 -300 bucks, depends how highend you want to go.
SAND- you will need about 125pounds of sand for a 75gallon tank, you can buy 100lbs of dry packaged sand and use 25lbs of live sand from your lfs to seed the rest of the sand for your tank, this will save you a lot of money.
LIVE ROCK- you will need at least 125lbs of live rock. You can use some base rock (not live) and seed it with the rest being live rock.
LIGHTING- you stated that you want a reef tank. So you might as well get the lights you are going to need right off the bat. For a reef set up it is best to use Metal Halide or T-5's, or a combination of both. Use the Metal for your daytime lights and the T-5s for your actinics.
There are some things I have left off. This alone will be alot to digest.
If you are good with your hands and have some carpentry, electrical, skills you can save your self a lot of money and build your light system yourself, same with your sump, there is a good DIY forum on this site. They can give you alot of the info you will need. But before you spend a dime, check out a lot of the different equipment that I have mentioned and see how it works, ask you local fish store about local reef clubs. Most major area have them. That is a good place to hook up with others in this hobby, they also can help figure out how to put together a sump set up and a killer light set up. It will also give you a chance to look at several different set ups. and see the equipment I have mentioned.

d.w.

Do you have to have powerheads to circulate your tank if you plan on getting a wavemaker?

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by D.W.
Do you have to have powerheads to circulate your tank if you plan on getting a wavemaker?
A wavemaker regulates the powerheads that you already have. So you need 3 or 4 powerheads for the WM, depending on which setting...

acrylic51

Honestly I think there are tons of options out there....I do remember seeing the question raised about is the tank ReefReady.....Even if it isn't I would still employ a HOB overflow system plumbed to a sump and possibly a fuge.....I would highly recommend that over a canister filter.......IMHO canisters can be a hinder and restrictive, if not properly maintained.....
Probably the first piece of equipment I would buy and on 99% of the peoples' list here would be a RO/DI unit......There are nice units out there, and 1 that I would personally recommend is the Typhoon III by AirWaterIce which is around $179 plus shipping.....I don't think you'll find to many units with the whistles like this one, and the know how and customer service to back the product.....
Next on the list should be a good protein skimmer.....There are numberous choices, but for that size system I would recommend ASM, EuroReef, if you want to spend the extra cash, Octopuss as well.......
Test kits would be high on my list as well....I prefer Salifert, Seachem which can be hard to read at times or LaMotte but rather pricey IMO.....
Lighting is another area you'll want to pay alot of attention to.....Your tank inhabitants will dictate somewhat what lighting you'll want to start to research....What type of corals do you have in mind of keeping???
I would also recommend some type of CL (closed Loop) system for extra water circulation in your tank....Powerheads are nice, but clutter up the display rather quickly IMO.....Wavemakers are nice, but honestly most powerheads don't hold up very well, to the hard on and offs these units do.....If you want a true wavemaker you might want to look at something like the Wavebox, or the Wave2k....Both awesome units, but pricey.....
For powerheads you could spend a little or alot......Reasonably priced are the maxijets which are very good, and they have the mod kits for them, that you can get awesome flow like that comparable to the big Seios without taking up tons of room.....As I have mentioned the Seio powerheads they are nice units, but do take up alot of room, so honestly I would opt for the maxijet modded over the Seio......Then you have the IceCap Vortech pumps which are really low profile and take up very little room......The price tag is rich running roughly $340.00 and up depending where you shop......They seem to be having issues with quality right now so hopefully that will be fixed shortly.....Then you have Tunze Streams and the nano streams.....Top notch period!!!!!! Pricey, Pricey, but worth it if you want reliability.....The Tunzes' can be controlled with a controller, where only 1 of the nano steams can be controlled on the controller......Nice magnetic mounts as well which make mounting easy....

T

tizzo

I skimmed through Mandarins answer and as far as LR, I agree, 125 lbs, but if you do that, then you will not need a canister filter. The proper amount of LR is the best method of filtration you can have. Nothing however, replaces a good protein skimmer.
You mentioned that nothing made it past 3 weeks, one thing you will need to understand is what is known as the "cycle period".
And the RO/DI mandarin mentioned is very important. That alone can deturmin whether or not a tank is successful (depending on your water source).

rip_em

here is what i found so far
ASM Baby G protein skimmer. Includes Gen-X 1000 needle wheel skimmer pump 119.00
Model ASM G-1 G-Series In-Sump protein skimmer. Sedra 2500 pump INCLUDED 237.00
EL-AM78000 Price $229.99
Aqua Medic The 'Wave' (Four-channel pump controller)
didnt understand what RO/DI was unless this means reverse osmosis if iam wrong let me know.

thegrog

First of all, welcome to the board!

Next, you may want to modify your last post as posting links to other websites that sell things is against board rules and the Mods will pull it off if/when they see it.
I agree with much of what has been said so far.
RO/DI = Reverse Osmosis/De-Ionized, I would call that essential for a reef.
Next essential equipment is a skimmer. ASM or AquaC are great skimmers that I have had experience with in the past.
You will want good lighting. What you will want to do is figure out what types of corals you want and go from there. If you think you will eventually want stony corals and clams, just go with MH (Metal Halide) lighting off the bat and you will never have to upgrade.
For water movement, it is important. I personally use the return from my sump/fuge and then several Maxijet and Seio powerheads. I would spend the money elsewhere rather than sink a lot into a wavemaker system. You can always upgrade later! However, a good closed loop system would be a good way to go.
What you will need for biofiltration is a good live sand (LS) bed and plenty of good live rock (LR). You may pay more for the LR than any other peice of equipment as you will want 70-80 pounds of it for a 75 gal tank!
MOST IMPORTANTLY is the following:
1. Patience, patience and patience.
Good reefs do not happen overnight. It takes weeks and months for them to mature and develop.
2. Research, research and research.
Read up as much as you can about setups and about every inhabitant you plan on getting BEFORE you buy it. Make sure you have the right size tank, what it eats, lighting requirements, if it will get along with other inhabitants. This board is a great source. Also, get the book entitled "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner. I tis easy to read and loaded with good info for marine tanks.
Good luck and hope this helps!

acrylic51

ASM skimmers are very nice, but would be looking at the G1X or G2 personally......Skimmer manufacturers are pretty generous at times with their skimmer capacities.......As Grog pointed out reverse osmosis w/DI is an essential in the hobby......
The wavemaker listed looks cool, but I think you might find as alot of others do those type of wavemakers take their tolls on PH's with the constant on/off that occurs with them......