Need some opinions on which brand to go with ;)

nuzz

My husband and I are trying to decide which brand to go with to create our "nano-reef". So far we have looked into:
29-gal Biocube
24- and 28-gal Nanocube
We understand that there are other brands out there as well, and we'd like all of your opinions. What are the pro's and con's with each brand as far as lighting? Filtration? Cleanliness and upkeep?
Please feel free to post on ANY experiences you have - all sizes, all brands. So that we feel that we have as much information as possible so that we can make the right decision for us. Thank you :)
Also please don't forget to mention pricing. Thanks

flricordia

One of the better all-in-one systems is the Finnex tanks. You can get T5 lighting or T5/MH lighting. They are open top tanks with large built-in refugiums and protien skimmers. The 30M tank is a good size because it is not to small as a starter nano and big enough to keep parameters in check, heat issue in check and a good assorment of livestock.

flricordia

Originally Posted by nuzz
http:///forum/post/2802391
Thanks for the recommendation - what is the cost?
Bit pricy...almost $700 shipped for the 150wt MH/T5 one. I tdoes come with Phoenix 14K MH bulb and 2 true 03 actincs. You can get the Aquapod for a less with Mh but IMO the Finnex is worth the extra. If you want to look into one PM me for info.

whisk

I just recently bought the Aquapod 24, the price was excellent ($170). I did a bunch of research myself between the Nano 24, the Biocube 14, and the Aquapod and chose it because the size was right, price was great, there wasnt many problems from what I heard about it. I have yet to set it up and give you my honest opinion, though I have to admit the cooling fans were a bit louder than I thought they would be. The Nano seemed like a good choice, they been in the business for awhile and there is a lot of support for them if you wanted to upgrade it with mods. Though what scared me away from it was a melting ballast story that I read on these forums and the aquariums cracking after filling them up and that was enough of that. It doesnt happen to all of them obviously, but i just didnt want to risk it. I dont know if those problems been fixed or not. The Biocube seems like a good choice and if I wanted a 29 gallon I definitely would have got that one. Overall I hear positive things about them.
My advice to you is make use of these forums and google and research the one that fits you best. I researched several weeks and asked many opinions on here myself. Some issues you may want to think about are what type of lighting do you want, the life you want to put in (bigger tanks mean more things you can put in), heating issues (some of these nano tanks can heat up too much for your fish with an enclosed hood in a hot house/environment), reliablity of parts, etc.
The crazy fellows I've met on here are usually pretty happy to help you out with your questions so dont be afraid to ask and one thing I have found is all nano brands have their ups and down; its all about finding one that fits you best.

nuzz

Thanks for your input Whisk, I really appreciate it and look forward to hearing how you like the Aquapod once you have it set up. The price definitely seems right... we are not worried about price BUT we are looking for the best deal our money can buy, of course :)

m0nk

Aquapod and Biocube are better than the JBJ Nano cube.... there have been numerous reports of electrical and glass failures with the Nanocube. HTH

nuzz

I have heard of the Nanocube glass failures; didn't come across anything about the electrical yet though so thanks for that advice.

nuzz

That ADA stuff doesn't look like a complete nano-reef set?, which is what I am looking for opinions on. Thanks anyways.

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2802978
That ADA stuff doesn't look like a complete nano-reef set?, which is what I am looking for opinions on. Thanks anyways.
Add... an aquaclear hang on the back filter w/ carbon and rowaphos. then get surface skimmer hooked to a power head... add rock and sand... done.. that's an easy way to do an ADA.
ADA 60-P $110
aquaclear50 $30
surface skimmer $14
aquaclear power head for skimmer $15
chemipure carbon$10
rowaphos (1 year supply) $25
Pretty easy and cheap right there.. you could also hook the surface skimmer to he aquaclear HOB instead of the power head if you wanted too... it just keeps film from forming on the surface.
$204 is cheaper than a biocube14 after the price increases.... sorry I had one of those all-in-ones, buyers remorse like a mofo... aka cheapocube... they look like CHEAP CRAP in my opinion, nothing elegant or aesthetically pleasing about a biocube or nanocube or aquapod. I sold my biocube and I've got a new tunze MACNA tank which looks like an ADA, check my thread (project you can't have) for pics of it.

sueandherzoo

Why is no one mentioning the 34 gallon Red Sea Max? I'm very new to all this and have done lots of reading and comparing and I was under the impression that the RSM was the "primo" of nano tanks. Actually their new, soon-to-be-available 65 gallon is on my Christmas list.

Sue

nuzz

Is a 65-gal still considered a "nano-reef"?! LOL

What about the RSM do you like?? Have you read up on the pro's and con's?
Kara

rotarymagic

the red sea max doesn't come with a metal halide... I'd get a Current USA solana then... it is a nice looking tank and 34gallons if I recall right (20x20x20inches.) That is if you must have a prebuilt all in one. A solana looks classy and they also have that new halfmoon current USA which looks dope in person.
Basically you're gonna dump lots more money into most cheaper all in ones because the lights are going to suck, the pumps are going to suck, flow is gonna suck, etc. and on a nanocube 28g HQI you'll definitely need a chiller in almost all cases unless you keep your place at 65F.

nuzz

I was thinking of avoiding the metal halides because of the heat they produce... I can imagine that could possibly lead to problems in a smaller tank (less than 30-gal).
I think the Biocubes offer approx 3 watts per gallon in flourescent compact lights... which, I was told
, should be sufficient (despite the recommended 4+ watts per gallon we were told by a fish expert) SINCE a nano-reef isn't all that deep.
Please tell me if I'm wrong.
Which leads to another question - Can we change the lights and/or light fixtures in a pre-built nano reef setup??
Kara

whisk

http:///forum/post/2803012
I was thinking of avoiding the metal halides because of the heat they produce... I can imagine that could possibly lead to problems in a smaller tank (less than 30-gal).
I think the Biocubes offer approx 3 watts per gallon in flourescent compact lights... which, I was told
, should be sufficient (despite the recommended 4+ watts per gallon we were told by a fish expert) SINCE a nano-reef isn't all that deep.
Please tell me if I'm wrong.
Which leads to another question - Can we change the lights and/or light fixtures in a pre-built nano reef setup??
Kara
I was told that basic lighting setup in nano tanks, about 3 watts a gallon will support many soft corals such as zoas, mushrooms, leather fingers, and a few more. I would recommend you take a look at Blazin's Nano/Aquapod thread, he uses stock lighting and you can see what he is growing.
From what I hear, you cant change the bulb to higher wattage build without first replacing the ballasts and wiring. There are kits online you can buy that have these parts you need to replace. Some people have done it on here. These usually include higher wattage power compact lights or a metal hallide. Other people just get rid of the hood and buy a metal hallide sun pod. I looked into this myself but since I need to keep the hood (i have cats) i was afraid the higher wattage pcs or metal hallides would easily overheat the tank and then i would have to buy a chiller (which i dont want to do). Since i'm new to nanos (and saltwater) im going to try the stock lighting for awhile and see how it goes. When I went to my LFS, i told the guy there the lighting i have and he showed me all the corals i could support and i was surprised by the variety. I wont be able to support hard corals, anemones, or clams but I'm fine with that and I can always upgrade in the future when I want to go all out.
Hope that helps.