need some plumbing opinions

sharkbait9

Need some opinions with a new set up I’m working on.
The new tank is a 40 breeder. Dimensions are 36 L X 18 w X 16 H. From sump floor to top of the tank is 4.5 feet. The tank will have one 1” drain with a 90* screened drain cap. The return will be 2 x ¾ drains. The return pump is a mag 9.5 with a T fitting recycling water back to the skimmer chamber. I plan on using a ball valve above the T fitting to throttle back water a little if need be.
Anyone see a problem with the plumbing idea?
The lights are a nova extreme pro 6 x 39 watt over sps. The frags are coming from my other tank that run 250 watt MH.
Should I use the legs that come with the fixture or elevate the fixture higher, say 12” off the water surface?
Thanks

sharkbait9

anyone? no comments? any the old timers still hang on the board or did they all leave and go to other boards?

posiden

I myself am confused on your return. Will that be 2" pipe and split the returns or, two 3/4" return lines off the pump? You state that the return will be a 2x3/4 drain.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3100890
I myself am confused on your return. Will that be 2" pipe and split the returns or, two 3/4" return lines off the pump? You state that the return will be a 2x3/4 drain.
the return will be 3/4 pipe split with a T fitting for 2 returns. One 3/4 return on each side of the tank. With loc-line fair nozzel.
Thanks.

posiden

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
http:///forum/post/3099789
Need some opinions with a new set up I’m working on.
The new tank is a 40 breeder. Dimensions are 36 L X 18 w X 16 H. From sump floor to top of the tank is 4.5 feet. The tank will have one 1” drain with a 90* screened drain cap. The return will be 2 x ¾ drains. The return pump is a mag 9.5 with a T fitting recycling water back to the skimmer chamber. I plan on using a ball valve above the T fitting to throttle back water a little if need be.
Anyone see a problem with the plumbing idea?
The lights are a nova extreme pro 6 x 39 watt over sps. The frags are coming from my other tank that run 250 watt MH.
Should I use the legs that come with the fixture or elevate the fixture higher, say 12” off the water surface?
Thanks
I think you might want to go bigger on the drain size. That's just me. I say that cause you have the potential to out run the drain with the pump you listed.
You say you want to put the ball valve above the T fitting......That would be just fine if you intend on using two and then you would be able to make one side return with more force. You can get away with just one ball valve if you place it before the T fitting.
I myself would use some type of an overflow so I could get surface skimming going on. Otherwise it sounds like a good idea. Should work fine.
As for the lights, I am not too sure about lighting. I would put the fixture on it's supplied legs to get it nice and close.

sharkbait9

Thanks for the reply. Its been a while since I’ve been on the board. I’m not used to not seeing the old members jumping on to answer questions or throw an opinion out.
I was fighting with myself about going single or dual 1 inch drains. I was also looking to see If I could find the drain rate of a 1 inch bulkhead with a 90* screen cap. I know a 1 inch bulkhead is around 600 GPH but that’s with water pushing down. Would I have to cut the rate in half or a quater since it would be just a bulkhead and 90* screen cap? Thoughts? comments?
I was toying with the idea of going with some type of surface skimming box like an austin ocean. Maybe the dual 1 inch skim box.
I’m also contemplating going with the Bubble-Magus BM160. I'm thinking I can throw a T fitting with a ¾ barb on one of the drain lines and soft plumb to the feed port of the skimmer and avoid the use of a pump just to feed the skimmer.
The reviews are really good about his skimmer along with my two buds who run the same one and its kicks the snot out of skimmers that are comparable in style and pump but are higher in price.
Hmmm, see you and mean seem to be on the same page with the lights. Im a MH light man myself, I have read up on the t-5 but I still can’t wrap my head around how a t5 can be as good as mh unless they are close to the water surface. The lights really are a trial. I got them at cost, so if I don’t like them I’m not out any real money and just throw on one of my MH pendants.
Anything else you can think of I’m all ears.
Opinions don’t hurt even when they are meant too.