Need suggestions on setting up a new 180 gal

cherokee angel

Hi everyone! first time post.
I have been reading post on here for awhile now, and I feel like you guys could help me spend $3,000 for a new 180 gal reef tank. I want to know, what all I need to get to have a good setup.
Thanks in advance for all the help because I know you guy's are GREAT!

nm reef

First off...welcome to the new member...pleasure to see you here.
Secondly...tell us what you plan to do with your 180.
Fish only...reef...what creatures you'd like to keep. From there a lot of folks can help you decide what equipment you'll need to be successful.
I'd love to develope a 180 for myself...but what I'd do may differ from what you'd prefer.:thinking:

cherokee angel

OK...Waterfaller1- NM reef... I,m going to have a canopy, but I was wanting to know how much lights and what kind. I want a reef tank presently , I only have a few soft corals ( fuzzy mushrooms , colt coral, green star polyps and feather dusters, 2 clowns and one yellow tang) because my 72 bow front doesnt have enough light for hard corals. I am going to buy all new protein skimmer, power heads, sump ,refugium and whatever else I need to have a great setup.. Not that i mind spending all this money because when I get home, I live in front of my tank it's so relaxing.

phreakemup

I'm a new member too!! From what I hear, a closed loop is a type of internal circulation sytem, to eliminate powerheads in the tank itself... There is one decently strong central pump, tat pulls fromt he tank itself (usually via a bulkhead) and shoots it directly back into the tank, usually into a few different outlets (also, usually via bulkheads)
As far as what kinda tank you wanna do, you are psting in the reef forum, so I assume it's gonna be a 180 reef!! (VERY VERY COOL!) What I would do for lighting is 3 400 watt 10K MH's and 2 6 foot VHO actinics. That should give you nice coverage, and let you do just about any coral you's like, water param permitting!! Good luck!
Phreak

cherokee angel

:jumping: Yes I want it to be a 180 (reef ready tank), with as many corals as i can put in it........ maybe one every week or two! Closed loop, so i know I need a sump, refugium,calc reactor,....lots of light! What kind of power pump are we talking about?
As you can see Iam just really getting into this and kinda sorta, new to all this equipment. My existing tank..72 gal bow front has a hang on the back penguin filter and a sea clone skimmer, and two 802 powere heads that i alternate the flow of water to keep a good circulation( dont know if thats over board) I have approximately 100# live rock and a DSB. So as you can see I really want this other tank too be a better setup.