Need To Know Camara Settings

ladylinn

What are the general settings if you want to focus on a subject and have everything around it blur/out of focus just to get that sharpness. and second what setting for moving fish to get them in a still shot

05xrunner

you want the background out of focus and just the fish in focus.
Like this one I did

Since you have a P&S thats going to be really hard unless the background is very far away. P&S cameras have a MUCH smaller sensor then DSLR so even with the fstop fully opened the depth of field is going to be MUCH larger. The smaller the sensor the larger DOF you will have. so your average fish tank you might not be able to give it that really nice blurred background.
To get the fish still you just need good shutter speed.

ladylinn

I have the soney-cybershot dsc h-5. No matter How much I play with it or read the manual, I cant get it. Thats exactly the kind of picture I wanna take

05xrunner

its probably caus the sensor is smaller. this gives you a larger dof..Its just the nature of the beast with P&S cameras

perfectdark

Originally Posted by ladylinn
So what is the best camara, I thought I did get one of the best

Digital SLR's are IMO the best. Canon and Nikon has some nice ones out, I bought mine 3 years ago paid almost 1000 for the whole thing. But I love it takes awesome pictures.

05xrunner

Trying to buy something someone calls the BEST camera is not usually a good idea. I dont even know where you where told that. I have never read any review for ANY camera that they said its the best camera. Never even heard that said about DSLR Pro bodies.
It might be a pretty good camera in a P&S. its just they are limited in some things. Such as getting a nice background blur. Sure they can do it just fine. They just need the background to be further away then a DSLR to get that blurred look.
You can try it though on yours to see if maybe you get the results you are happy with.
Just set the camera in Av mode. Thats Aperture priority mode and set your fstop to the lowest # it will go to

perfectdark

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
Trying to buy something someone calls the BEST camera is not usually a good idea. I dont even know where you where told that. I have never read any review for ANY camera that they said its the best camera. Never even heard that said about DSLR Pro bodies.
It might be a pretty good camera in a P&S. its just they are limited in some things. Such as getting a nice background blur. Sure they can do it just fine. They just need the background to be further away then a DSLR to get that blurred look.
You can try it though on yours to see if maybe you get the results you are happy with.
Just set the camera in Av mode. Thats Aperture priority mode and set your fstop to the lowest # it will go to

What I meant by that was not the "best" cameras available I should of clarified. Taking for granted we are not talking about professional photographers but someone who is looking to have a camera that has good functionality and versatility. Most look at DSLR's as it seems to fill that spot well. As far as the best camera out there, your right I cannot classify any as the "best" poor adjective to use I guess. But it suits my needs I am in no way a professional and I get good quality pics. I just wish I had a macro lens for closer shots.

ladylinn

Can you please tell me if my camara has the ability to do what I want?Sony Cybershot DSC-H5 7.2MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilization Zoom

05xrunner

that really cant be answered. You just have to shoot with the camera to find out.
Set the fstop to its widest setting. smallest # and start taking pics. see if it gives u a decent background blur

topfins-mj

Your camera does have some capability to shoot the effect that you want. Follow the advise of some of the folks to set the shutter and Aperture and play with it. Also make sure you have a real steady hand or a tripod.
DSLR are expensive, but will open it up for you to set the desired effect much more than most of the point & Shoot digitals.
Professional people use $8,000 cameras and take courses to use them. With that said a nice DSLR will give you this effect much better, but again you have to play with the camera a lot beofre you get it.
It may help to read up on the settings in your manual or on sites tailored to the make of yoru camera.
I knwo someone here posted this link. Nice place to tell you the truth.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

maxalmon

Nice looking tank, love the angel. I just noticed that it's a half round, this will compound the image quality as it's really hard to to photograph thru curved glass, tends to distort the image.
You'll have a sweet spot thats maybe 4-5" around where things maybe in focus, outside of that area you'll see the image quality start to fade.
I can't offer any advice on your camera settings as I'm not familiar with that particular model.

05xrunner

looks like your getting there. Only thing is your always going to fight that battle of the rounded tank. That makes getting pics razor sharp really hard to do. If you do you either have the Face of the fish in focus but the back end starts to distort because of it. Just keep shooting and you will get better

natclanwy

Just wanted to point out that you do NOT!! need a a DSLR to take great shots I had a Canon P&S that I have taken 1000's of great pics with and some of the best Tank shots I have seen have been with P&S camera's. I recently upgraded to a DSLR so that I had a more versitle camera but I still miss the simplicity of my P&S some days. It was so nice to just grab the camera tweak the settings and take some pictures now I have a huge camera and lenses and have to decide which lense I need and put it together before I can start to take pictures and then if the scene changes I have to change lenses. Don't get me wrong I love my DSLR but somedays it is nice to just shoot pictures and not worry about all the other stuff.
To answer your question you want to set your aperture (f-stop) to the largest opening or smallest number which is going to be 2.8 on your camera. The easiest way to do this is to set your camera to Aperture priority mode ("A" on the dial) and set it to the correct aperture and then the camera will adjust the shutter speed to match automatically. Then the more distance between your subject and the background the more out of focus it will be, and I think that there is also correlation between the distance from the lense and the subject also do a search for "Bokeh" and you will find lots of info. Also you might need to set the ISO to a higher setting so that you can get a fast enough shutter speed so that your fish does not come out blurry since in my experience they never stop moving long enough for me to take there picture. Raising the ISO will lower the picture quality so you will have to find an even medium between shutter speed and quality. This is where a DSLR truely stands out, I can take pics at ISO1600 with good results on my Canon 30D but on my P&S I could only get acceptable pics at ISO200 and less.

gta333

I have a canon power shot S2IS Im still trying to get that picture taking thing figured out. Any advice on what settings would work best for this camera. Thanks for your time Gary