Need to replace my bulbs

teresaq

This is my seahorse tank, I keep nothing but softies, and I dont like real blue
What do you think this combo will produce. Wish there was a way to see what bulb combos looked like before you bought them. MY current set is a little to white.
this is what I am thinking
1 red sun T5 HO - UV Lighting
1 Aquablue plus T5 HO - Giesemann
2 Actinic White 120000K T5 HO - UV Lighting
1 AquaSun 100000K T5 HO - UV Lighting
1 Super Actinic T5 HO - UV Lighting

1guydude

im thinkin that'll still be a lil white...wat are u looking for? Purple? Ive never seen the UV bulb before so i couldnt tell u their lol...
it may also be a bit red depending on how red that uv bulb is... are u gonna put the red uv and the super blue on the ends... like the front and back i guess if that makes sense? Baically how theyre listed lol...
im still thinkin that the two 12ks and the 10k are gonna take over the others but idk...lol... wat was ur old set up?

reefraff

That would look really pink.
If there are no corals so you don't need to worry about PAR the UV lamps are fine, otherwise stick to Giesemann or ATI lamps.
If you are looking for just a little blue try
3 UV 454 blue
2 UV Actinic White
1 Giesemann Midday

teresaq

there are a few corals, shrooms, leathers, ricordias, and photo gorgs. other then that is just macros.
I dont like tanks that look blue when you look at them. I also dont want yellow. Heck I guess I dont know what I want. lol
maybe I will buy a couple extras and just try them.
I cant remember what is in there now, except two actinic and 3 that look white and one thats kinda yellow. hahaha Its been a while since I replaced them.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/388155/need-to-replace-my-bulbs#post_3421765
there are a few corals, shrooms, leathers, ricordias, and photo gorgs. other then that is just macros.
I dont like tanks that look blue when you look at them. I also dont want yellow. Heck I guess I dont know what I want. lol
maybe I will buy a couple extras and just try them.
I cant remember what is in there now, except two actinic and 3 that look white and one thats kinda yellow. hahaha Its been a while since I replaced them.
If you know the names of the lamps and give me an idea of how much more blue you want we could come up with something I'm sure. Are the actinic lamps actual actinics (violet) or are they blue? With shrooms and Ricordias a Real Actinic with a blue lamp looks cool for dusk/dawn, an eerie blue that makes things glow. Other than that it's personal taste.
I

1guydude

i think the bulbs u suggested teresa would look purple to pinkish....lol u need to decide wat color u want! Those corals shouldnt care really.... i just went ahead and ordered another blue bulb when i was doing t5s to see if i liked it more blue or white and i didnt even bother with the extra blue cuz it was blue enough lol...

teresaq

finally got a look at my bulbs.
in there now
2 ati actinic
2 ati blue plus
1 aquablue special
1 GE -real yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/388155/need-to-replace-my-bulbs#post_3421769
If you know the names of the lamps and give me an idea of how much more blue you want we could come up with something I'm sure. Are the actinic lamps actual actinics (violet) or are they blue? With shrooms and Ricordias a Real Actinic with a blue lamp looks cool for dusk/dawn, an eerie blue that makes things glow. Other than that it's personal taste.
I
Here is what i am thinking, but still not sure. I want just a touch of blue but not yellow
2 UV super actinic
2 UV 75-25 14K aqua blue
1 Giesman Midday sun
1 UV 12K actinic white

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/388155/need-to-replace-my-bulbs#post_3421866
finally got a look at my bulbs.
in there now
2 ati actinic
2 ati blue plus
1 aquablue special
1 GE -real yellow
Quote:
Here is what i am thinking, but still not sure. I want just a touch of blue but not yellow
2 UV super actinic
2 UV 75-25 14K aqua blue
1 Giesman Midday sun
1 UV 12K actinic white
If you have another blue lamp pull an actinic and slip the blue in it's place and see what you think. Unless that GE lamp is in front I am surprised you think the tank looks yellow unless your lamps are really old.
If you want to use UV lamps (don't use them unless they are less money than ATI or Giesemann lamps) I would go with
3 454 Blues,
1 super actinic,
1 Actinic White
1 Giesemann midday or GE6500.
What that will do is change the Aquablue which is slightly blue for an Actinic white which is slightly pink. You trade out an actinic for another Blue. You get an overall slightly more blue output but also some red you don't have now. Once it all blends together it should look nice. Once all the lamps are on you wont notice any loss of pop only having a single actinic. They only make a very slight difference once all the lights are on if you use the good blue lamps which also have actinic phosphors.
In the event the uv's are the same price as the others use these, they are better quality
3 ATI Blue Plus or Gmann Actinic Plus
1 ATI Actinic or Gmann Pure Actinic
1 ATI Purple Plus or Gmann Aquapink
1 Gmann Midday or GE 6500K

reefraff

This doesn't have all the latest stuff on it but explains what the lamps look like. I need to update it.
http://home.comcast.net/~stevelarsen00/site/?/page/Brand_names_of_lamps/&PHPSESSID=cffe4144fd5ee5b6fa9f8237d317f0cd