Need vho lighting assistance please.

dankreefer

I have a 55 gallon and i want to start out with either a 2 or 4 bulb vho setup. What i need to know is do i need a ballast, or a wire harness or both.
Does a ballast come with what you need to run bulbs?

27mtaylor

I bought a Hamilton VHO retrofit kit from another website and it had everything I needed to start (except bulbs) It had the reflector and endcaps mounted together with a wire running off of it. The wire smiply snapped into a harness that came off the ballast, which I mounted in my tank stand.

dadummy

I used ARO ballast 2x110W
3 piece endcaps w/ standoffs (some made from acrylic)
URI bulbs
polished aluminim reflector.
pig tail (3 prong plug)
blue and yellow wire nuts
14 gauge wire (18 gauge is OK)
screws
you can buy the components individually and save a few bucks ,have to put together yourself, not difficult, the ballast has a wiring diagram on it.
you can buy a ballast pre-wired with harness and endcaps.
or buy a retro kit everything assembled and wired
I'd suggest doing a google for DIY lighting ,or similar topic, lot's of information out there with pics.
worked for me

d0 thy d3w

sorry i kinda jacked this one..but can i make a light setup without a ballast?? or was that a totally dumb question...??

dankreefer

Awsome thanks guys. I ended up getting the 4 bulb vho ballast for a total of 440 watts. I went with the kit that comes with everything but bulbs. I got the 4 bulb setup and just ordered 2 bulbs for now and it only cost me $190.
Im using the actinic and the 50/50 bulbs