Need XPERT advice on Bubble Algae?

astroclown

Urgent help in removing bubble algae pls. One piece of LR has tones of bubble algae plus other rocks. How can I get rid of it safely? I heard that your not suppose to pop them, cause they can spred. My nitrates and phosphates are minimal. Plus my 5 emerald crabs, seems to not eat any of it. Any way of removing it carefully and effieciently, without disturbing the tank.
Live Stocks:
100lbs LR
60lbs LS
6 fishes
tones of different snails and blue leg hermits
arrow crab and cleaner shrimp
5 emerald crabs
2 feather duster
1 Lrg. star polyps
Equip:
70gal tank
tidepool sump w/ biowheel
prizm skimmer
3-48" T8 bulbs (powerglo)
3-802 Power Heads
300W Tronic Heater

bot587

I will never consider myself nor anyone an expert, just experienced. I would say check your phosphates, maybe try and reduce the number through phosphate control. I know i have read the emeralds work the bubble algae pretty well, give it time, maybe slack the feeding of the crabs a little bit. That might give them an urge to eat the bubble algae. And, is it possible that they are already controlling the spread of the bubble algae, and you just havent notice...(just a thought)

nm reef

In the past I've fought a serious out break of bubble algae (valonia)...the best actions in my opinion are excess nutrient control and manual removal.
I try to eliminate phosphates as well as nitrates.
Insure lighting is replaced as required to avoid out of spectrum lighting.
Careful manual removal as needed...I even used a large biopsy syringe to deflate them.
natural predators do help especially with new growth...emerald crabs and a foxface lo work well in my situation.
The important part is not to let them overrun your display...use a combination of methods to control existing growth and prevent new growth. they can become a serious pest if not dealt with.

spmnarciso

I would remove the more infested rocks and in a small bucket with saltwater siphon them out. When I mean siphon, I'd grab a small pump and attach a small diameter tube to it and suck on the bubble prying it from the rock. As soon as you have noticed that you have eliminated them, return the rock to the tank. As for those rocks, not easily removed, I'd siphon directly from the display. In case any do pop, a water change might help and your emeralds might handle any that return.
Good luck

nm reef

Another tactic is to run a quality skimmer to reduce the potential for spores to remain suspended long enough for new growth to establish. Bottom line is there are numerous ways to combat the nasty stuff....but by all means don't allow it to spread unchecked. nasty stuff once it is well established.