Need your lighting help/opinion !!!!

hawaii50

Ok I have a 55gal with mostly softies and one small maxima. Right now I have 2 400w MH aboue it yes way above it. Now my question is should I get 2 175 MH or go with VHO to replace the 400's. One problem/concern is heat in the summer it gets hot where my tank is. I do run a chiller so it helps but with the evap and heat from the 2 400's it's to much for me to keep up with. What would you go with? The dual 175's MH or 4 110w VHO's? Pros, cons? Thanks everyone !!!!!!

J

joecavender

did you try a fan blowing on the light or between the tank and lights that will drop your temp at least 3 degrees vho put out a lot of heat but you should see more coraline algae growth now metal halides you may not see as much coraline growth but you get more light for deeper tanks and big clams ect. and if you want to keep heat under control try power compacts olny if your tank is no deeper than 18" hope this helps p.s. power compacts may not grow coraline as fast as vho's

S

sebae0

imo go with 250w mh and have 2 fans in the canopy, one blowing in and one blowing out.
i live in michigan also and i have 675w of mh on a 180 with no heat problems in the summer. the mh will be much better for the clam than vho or pc's

S

sebae0

good luck and keep us posted, secondly what do you plan on doing with the 400w mh's? i might be interested in one.