Needs reassurance about Emerald Crab...

mdmacolyte

Hi Everybody - Sorry for being needy... =)
I put an emerald crab in my tank this morning and tonight he is SHEET WHITE. Now, I have read up on these guys and I know they molt, I just didnt expect for him to be getting ready to do it THE SAME FRIGGIN DAY I GOT HIM!? Is this normal? I just need to know that he's going to be ok... He's still trucking along BUT HES SHEET WHITE!! Any input, reassurance, heck, even if you need to yell at me... LOL Thanks!

mdmacolyte

as of right now:
Salinity: 1.0255
Ammonia: 0
pH: 7.9ish
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
He's just getting ready to molt right?

gregvabch

i've had several emerald crabs and i've never seen them turn completely white, but i guess it might be molting. can you take a picture of it? your ph is a little on the low side, is that at the end of your lighting schedule?

mdmacolyte

Ok, here is a crappy photo with my camera phone... he's perched up on a rock right next to my XP3's output wand... (Look for the little white blob on the rock beneath the powerhead). He was moving around earlier all vibrant like, and now he's just sitting there like he's chillin' or something... I was under the impression they needed to hide under a rock or something, and I never thought in a million years that one would end up molting the day I got him!!

mdmacolyte

Ok, he's still white today - hasnt left the rock he's on (see photo above). I thought at first he might be dead, but when I reached in to take him out of the tank he backed up on his rock so I just left him alone... Has anyone else had an emerald crab go albino on them??

92protruck

I bought 2 emerald crabs about 4 months ago. One has molted twice and is very green. The other has never molted, has lost his bold personality, stays mostly hidden and has been completly white for about 2 months now. I don't have a clue!

mudplayerx

My first action would be to research what exactly makes the emerald crabs shell green. This is just a guess.... but perhaps the algae it eats. Since they don't seem to be molting, my opinion is they aren't getting enough of whatever helps keep their shells green.

mdmacolyte

Hi Everyone...
Just wanted to let you guys know that Emeril the Emerald Crab is green again... *sigh of relief* ...and he's still eating like a pig, so everything is all well. Thanks for the help and input. =)