Nemo!

guineawhop

Originally Posted by Dmitry
If you work in an aquarium, it IS your job to teach children, adults, etc. If you work in a pet store it is your job to share knowledge and advice. Besides, from what I've read on this and all other on-line chat boards, LFS empoyees are like lawyers - everybody here hates them. (Personally I haven't reached that point yet.) So what if people call then Nemos and Dori/y's? Come up and explain that actually that's a Clown and that's a Tang. You have the perfect opening for a dicussion and to teach somebody something. If you hate teaching...perhaps you're in the wrong business and should host your own cubicle.

at the lfs it's not our job to teach people who are just looking at the fish and that is usually the people who call them nemo's. the other people who call them nemo's are people who just started this hobby and is probably the reason they started this hobby. as for the people who work at aquariums it may or may not be their jobs, but if it is then i'm sure you would feel the same way if you constantly had to tell people that they are clown fish not nemo's.

p. pilate

it's funny that it troubles people to hear the fish called "nemo". "clownfish" is a common name, the fish isn't REALLY a clown (as Marlin points out in the movie). cleaner shrimp are not really skunks, and puffer fish aren't really porcupines. maybe we should just stop using all "affectionately known as names" and just start using their scientific names. and even the scientific names are just a label made up by humans. that's why Nemo never says he's a clownfish in the movie.....he's a FISH, he's not aware that humans made him a "clownfish". he probably has no idea what a "clown" is, and for that matter, what a "fish" is. I know people get tired of hearing about that movie, but honestly, "Finding Nemo" has probably brought more attention to the coral reef than anything in the past 20 years.
lol

fishmamma

So I shouldn't have named my clowns Big Nemo and Little Nemo? (kidding)
Seriously though.......kids, adults, whatever. It's a movie, they are fish. We know what they are and that is what counts, three-year-olds shouldn't have to. Though I totally understand the frustration.............too bad the pet stores don't sell big purple dinasours too.

dmitry

I work in retail (a classical music department of a huge record store in NYC) and people (customers and browsers) mispronounce names of composers and performers all the time. So, Debussy becomes Deboosy, Mahler becomes Mayler, and Jessye Norman becomes J.Z. Norman. I laugh at these, but deal in two ways: ignore it or correct it. I realize that not everyone who comes into the department is an expert on this subject, nor do I expect them to be. They know things I don't, just not on this subject. I would hope that they don't judge me for my ignorance and I accept theirs.

pinktail

We have a tomato clown in our tank, and nearly everyone who sees it calls it Nemo. My son knows its not nemo, and I am so glad about it.

texasex

Originally Posted by guineawhop
at the lfs it's not our job to teach people who are just looking at the fish and that is usually the people who call them nemo's. the other people who call them nemo's are people who just started this hobby and is probably the reason they started this hobby. as for the people who work at aquariums it may or may not be their jobs, but if it is then i'm sure you would feel the same way if you constantly had to tell people that they are clown fish not nemo's.
Actually, I have to put MY two cents in and say, if you work in a LFS, then YES it is your job to educate people! I think I speak for a lot of frustrated saltwater lovers who are tired of reading about newbies who go into a LFS, and the store just wants a sell and could care less if the customer knows how to care for the fish or not!!! And it is the job of someone who works in an aquarium to educate people. If you get sick of children being excited about saltwater fish, then maybe you shouldn't be in that line of work. I hate it when people go and buy a "Nemo" just because of their kids wanting one, but if a parent cares enough to spend time and research something and educate their kids on something new, how can that be a bad thing?!
All you people who wrote that you would like to "smack" the kids who call the clowns "Nemo", I pray you never have any!

guineawhop

Originally Posted by Texasex
Actually, I have to put MY two cents in and say, if you work in a LFS, then YES it is your job to educate people! I think I speak for a lot of frustrated saltwater lovers who are tired of reading about newbies who go into a LFS, and the store just wants a sell and could care less if the customer knows how to care for the fish or not!!! And it is the job of someone who works in an aquarium to educate people. If you get sick of children being excited about saltwater fish, then maybe you shouldn't be in that line of work. I hate it when people go and buy a "Nemo" just because of their kids wanting one, but if a parent cares enough to spend time and research something and educate their kids on something new, how can that be a bad thing?!
All you people who wrote that you would like to "smack" the kids who call the clowns "Nemo", I pray you never have any!

ok read over what i said and then rethink about ur response. i said for people who are just there to look at the fish not the ones purchasing fish. i do not have to educate someone who just goes there to look at the fish. my job is to make sure the person BUYING something know's how to take care of the fish. if i spent all my time educating every person that goes in the saltwater section i would be there forever and would not be able to get my job done. so no it is not my job to educate every tom ---- and harry.

farmboy

You know,
It could help sell fish. "why yes we have clown fish (when customer asks for nemo) and we also have bue tangs. You know "Dory! (kids go crazy) But mom and dad will have to get a little bigger tank to put these fish in. Nemo just wouldn't be happy without a Dory."
It's just CRAZY ENOUGH TO WORK!!
NOTE: This technique could work just as easily with other "Finding NEmo" characters.
After all, I'll bet most fish stores carry more clown fish than any other type. . . .wonder why?

vicodin

Originally Posted by arrissa
That's mature, they are children, learning...so teach them. I am not understanding the problem and the rage that goes with children calling the fish Nemo. They ARE children, someone needs to teach them, let it be you, but smacking them? Really. :nope:
I see alot of people here that dislike the Nemo fish. :)
I think it's becoming a trend to hate those words. But come on... to be consumed with a deep hatred when someone refers to a fish.. you have to be joking. and if you all hate it some much why build a huge string devoted to bad-mouthing it?? Secretly you all love it.
These little fish / movie has raised an awareness about our oceans in the minds of a whole generation. Do you guy's get it? I know its bothersome but so who cares, Luv not hate. oh yea, smack a kid and ansewer my question about the starfish....

dskidmore

I just don't get why everyone wants to name thier clowns after the fish with the defective fin, rather than the perfectly healthy main character. (Main character was not the title character.)

guineawhop

Originally Posted by Vicodin
I see alot of people here that dislike the Nemo fish. :)
I think it's becoming a trend to hate those words. But come on... to be consumed with a deep hatred when someone refers to a fish.. you have to be joking. and if you all hate it some much why build a huge string devoted to bad-mouthing it?? Secretly you all love it.
These little fish / movie has raised an awareness about our oceans in the minds of a whole generation. Do you guy's get it? I know its bothersome but so who cares, Luv not hate. oh yea, smack a kid and ansewer my question about the starfish....

no one said they hated the clown fish nor the movie. what we hate is that they call clown fish nemo's now instead.

guineawhop

Originally Posted by Pontius
does it also piss you off at your pet store when Datchsunds (sp?) are called "weener dogs"?
no because i'm in the FISH department and i do not deal with dogs,cats, birds, hamsters, ferrets, bunnies, or whatever other small animals besides reptiles.

nosliwekim

Originally Posted by guineawhop
hell yeah smacking em. it's not my job to teach little kids. it's their parents. i don't care if they are little kids or not. if you worked at a petstore you would become the same way.

ophiura

We actually did tours at the LFS for kids (usually young kids for birthdays, school groups), and I would swim them around the world (the parents and teachers were on the cruise ship trailing behind us). Up and down every row...from the Pacific reefs (saltwater section) talking about colors, patterns, mouths, etc...to African lakes (cichlids), to the Amazon (tetras) to Asia (goldfish and Koi). Was always a blast, and nothing was generally sold. But making fish faces and sucking noises like the epaulette sharks eating? Priceless. Very few of the employees actually wanted to do a tour like that. :D :thinking:
I totally agree with P. Pilate - "nemo" is basically a common name, and it is not really all that different from "clownfish." If you study animals you'll learn how pointless common names are exactly for the reason that everyone might have a different name for it. So unless you come out with "its not nemo" its Amphiprion ocellaris, my advice is to grit your teeth and deal with it. Edumacate them or not. :)

jackal4eva

Reading this post is kind of funny - instead of worrying what people call the fish, we ought to be happy that more people care about fish and their environments...

ophiura

I can see where the annoying part comes in for LFS and aquarium people, and that is that many people don't understand that you can't just get a tank and throw all these fish in there. You do have to explain to the parents that it won't be pleasant telling the kids why nemo or dori died. So it is not the name that is too annoying, but the attitude that "I want it now, give it to me." Many don't care about the environment at all so long as they get them today :( They think it is easy. Of course, Tetra didn't help when the movie came out. There was a big thread here on that too :)

guineawhop

Originally Posted by ophiura
I can see where the annoying part comes in for LFS and aquarium people, and that is that many people don't understand that you can't just get a tank and throw all these fish in there. You do have to explain to the parents that it won't be pleasant telling the kids why nemo or dori died. So it is not the name that is too annoying, but the attitude that "I want it now, give it to me." Many don't care about the environment at all so long as they get them today :( They think it is easy. Of course, Tetra didn't help when the movie came out. There was a big thread here on that too :)

that is yet another reason, i can't tell you how many times i've been asked to if they could put them in a bowl, or in their freshwater tanks