Neon dotteyback can I add one?

carlos413

I have a 55 gallon reef, I have a royal gamma, two false percs a perple firefish and a mandarin. I was wondering if it would be ok to add a neon dotteyback? I was thinking of adding a six line but I guess he might just kill my mandarin, out of the question.
Will the neon dotteyback go after my skunk cleaner shrimp?

kraylen

Neon Dottybacks are terrorists. They are amazing fish to have... they are active pest hunters, very hardy and dazzling fish to watch! They are VERY territorial and aggressive fish. It is difficult to add new fish after a Neon Dottyback has made its home but you can try. They usually will not tolerate similar shaped fish or fish with a majority of yellow to the body. They will hide in rocks near the substrate, and sometimes burrow as well. This being said, they also carry mouthfuls of sand around and spit it out.... mine is constantly feeding my acans my substrate!
They are very smart and very curious. When pumps are turned off they will scan every inch of the "new" area in hopes of finding a bar fight, or some food. Being a pest hunter, they can become competition for your dragonette when it comes to natural food... burning more energy, they consume a large deal more than a dragonette would.
Any other questions you have, ask. I keep a Neon in a 55g with a few of the same fish you have. I have removed my Neon and re-added him due to aggression and desire for more fish.

carlos413

Originally Posted by Kraylen
http:///forum/post/3224790
Neon Dottybacks are terrorists. They are amazing fish to have... they are active pest hunters, very hardy and dazzling fish to watch! They are VERY territorial and aggressive fish. It is difficult to add new fish after a Neon Dottyback has made its home but you can try. They usually will not tolerate similar shaped fish or fish with a majority of yellow to the body. They will hide in rocks near the substrate, and sometimes burrow as well. This being said, they also carry mouthfuls of sand around and spit it out.... mine is constantly feeding my acans my substrate!
They are very smart and very curious. When pumps are turned off they will scan every inch of the "new" area in hopes of finding a bar fight, or some food. Being a pest hunter, they can become competition for your dragonette when it comes to natural food... burning more energy, they consume a large deal more than a dragonette would.
Any other questions you have, ask. I keep a Neon in a 55g with a few of the same fish you have. I have removed my Neon and re-added him due to aggression and desire for more fish.
I was hopeing I could get one... on second thought I might just keep things as they are. everything is going well in my tank. I wont risk adding a terror to my tank. Thanks... any other suggestions? something colorfull?

pete159

you can easily add a few more fish to that tank, as long as you have a powerful bio filter.
Long nose hawk fish are great and mine never bothered anything and they love to stare at you. You can add a purple firefish, a yellow watchmen goby with a pistol shrimp. They will make a cave and share it, very cute to see.
I have a scooter blenny and he gets along fine with my algae blenny, so those are also options. A yellow wrasse is cool and very peacefull

carlos413

How about a four or twelve line or a four line wrasse? will they fight with Mandarins for food?
Looking for something with alot of color that is reef safe and wont clash with my stock list

kraylen

Most wrasse are pod hunters and will shut out the dragonette for pods. Same goes for bodanius and species alike.