Neptunes 72" Custom LED system.

king_neptune

Everything is doing fine. Some corals have a slight loss in color(by slight, i really mean slight), others have exploded with new more vibrant color. Id say the good outweighs the bad, but it is dissapointing to have even a tiny bit of color loss in some of my favorite SPS peices. I got all the remaining parts a few weeks ago, the other day I mounted all the LED's and last two heatsinks. I just need to wire them up and Ill have a nice 4 panel dimmable array. Im also planning on adding a pair of T5's w/icecaps to the outside of the frame. This should fill in any blanks to the color spectrum as I suspect the loss of color is due to lack of UV light fromt he LED's. So chalk up a couple hundred bucks for the 48" T5's.

2quills

Have you thought of adding a couple of u.v. led's? I hear it brings out colors in pigments that you usually don't see unless under u.v. light. Might want to be careful not to give them too much u.v. though.
On a side note: I've been doing a bit of reading for research into how I want to set up my rig. There seems to be a corilation from just running white and blue leds and loss of color in certain corals (mostly SPS). SPS need strong lighting which we know and I've read a few articles stating that most corals that come from shallower waters develop flourescent pigments as protection from the strong u.v. light. It would seem that finding the right mix between too much u.v. and not enough would be key.

wangotango

I don't remember what mix of LEDs you said you were running, but a lot of stuff I've been reading concerning color has to do with the color of LEDs used less than whether UV is being used or not. It seems that a lot of people running just a 50/50 mix of RB an CW are running into coral coloration problems. Have you considered adding some warm/neutral whites, blues, or cyans?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangoTango http:///forum/thread/377353/neptunes-72-custom-led-system/100#post_3324250
I don't remember what mix of LEDs you said you were running, but a lot of stuff I've been reading concerning color has to do with the color of LEDs used less than whether UV is being used or not. It seems that a lot of people running just a 50/50 mix of RB an CW are running into coral coloration problems. Have you considered adding some warm/neutral whites, blues, or cyans?
Did you happen to read anything about what types of corals that people are having color problems with? Just curious...

wangotango

Certain SPS tended to wash out or become "pastelly" for certain people. Broadening up the spectrum seemed to have helped. I hadn't heard anything regarding LPS or anything else.
Then again, SPS coloration is something that is very complex, and something that is difficult to balance under any lighting system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/377353/neptunes-72-custom-led-system/100#post_3324256
Did you happen to read anything about what types of corals that people are having color problems with? Just curious...

king_neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangoTango http:///forum/thread/377353/neptunes-72-custom-led-system/100#post_3324250
It is 50/50. I am counting that the ICE caps will broaden the UV spectrum for minimal cost. Otherwise its going to be a headache to pull out some of my LED's, then place in other colors.
I just picked up the last pieces that Ill need to finish the control box for arrays #3+4. Gonna try to spend an hour or two in the evenings till I get this thing finished.