Never gonna believe this . . .

splashed

OK, I wasn't sure where to put this, but maybe it will be helpful to someone who is new to this . . . or old to this . . .hehe, read on and laugh with me.
OK, Halloween night I was just about to go to bed when I noticed some bubbles coming from my skimmer - I went and adjusted the valve and nothing. I noticed the tube was kinked under the skimmer output. So, I lifted the skimmer to unkink it. Not as easy as it sounds. Well, the connection (outside the tank) popped open and water started shooting out - (brand new freakin carpet) So, I screamed, hubby comes running in we tried to plug up the hole, but the water pressure was too much. This entire thing took only 30 seconds. Now, I am covered in water, my floor is covered in water and the skimmer is pumping more out like a champ. So I, (standing in water) reached down and pulled the powerstrip from the wall.
Bad Idea.
It shocked the crap out of me. I got back to my senses, was crying (over the carpet - not being shocked) We lost about 4 gallons of water - but all the fish survived. We spent the rest of the night with hair dryers drying my carpet.
My arms and shoulders hurt for a couple of days, but not too bad . . . until 2 weeks ago, I lost all strength in my right arm. I went to the Dr. he said I sustained muscle and nerve damage from the shock. I am doing better now - have to go to the Neurologist for some nerve tests, but all should be well.
I thought if anyone would appreciate this SHOCKING story, it would be my friends on this board.
:) Wendy

cnlight

WOW!!!! Its a good thing you weren't shocked harder, I guess you wouldn't be posting on the boards if you had been. I'm glad your ok and I will certainly remember not to do that anytime soon. :eek:

magooo2

Glad to see your ok . Boy what an experience. I Have now moved my power strip tp a "covered" location. Thanx for the post.

splashed

lol, you know - when I try to explain this story to everyone else - they don't get any of it - I just skip all the skimmer and tank talk and skip right to standing in water and pulling the plug.
:)
It is so nice to be understood.

flatzboy

Wow! That sucks! I've been shocked twice in the same day by a broken socket. The first time I didn't know it was messed up then the second time I did it on purpose because my brother didn't believe it was broken. I didn't experience any bad effects except forthe muscle in my body would spaz out a few times a day and keep pulsing out like I'm flexing my muscles but it did it fast.

splashed

I didn't know I was hurt, I mean it hurt when it happened, but a couple days later I felt fine. Then my knuckles started throbing - I thought I was getting arthritis - - - way too young, then it progressed to the point I couldn't hold a glass. Its back almost to normal now.

sw65galma

ahh ya I joined the shocked club two days ago when I left the RO running filling up my empty QT tank. I came back to a lot of water on the floor and saw it dripping on my powerstrip.
So like a dummy Instead of just hitting the breaker which was maybe 10ft from me, I grabbed the plug and got zapped.
That'll learn me! Take the extra 5 steps and hit the breaker.
Actaully I'm going to change any outlet that has fish stuff to a GFI breaker. It's worth the $30 or whatever it is..

viet-tin

I know a guy that got zapped pretty bad. Hes a construction worker and he was using a jack hammer to dig holes and he hammered right into some lines and it fried him. It also blew a hole in his thigh and was in a coma for about a week or so.

cowfishrule

Originally posted by sw65galma
That'll learn me!

dont you mean "that'll teach me!"???
maybe the shock disrupted ya dome

bang guy

This is testimonial as to why ALL aquarium outlets NEED to be protected by GFCI. A simple 5 minute installation would have prevented you from getting shocked. You could have been killed!
I'm really sorry for your carpet but take this as a lesson and get GFCI installed immediately! Don't even wait until tomorrow, do it NOW!!!!

ohioreef

Originally posted by Bang Guy
This is testimonial as to why ALL
aquarium outlets NEED
to be protected by GFCI. A simple 5 minute installation would have prevented you from getting shocked. You could have been killed!
I'm really sorry for your carpet but take this as a lesson and get GFCI installed immediately! Don't even wait until tomorrow, do it NOW!!!!

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

sw65galma

Originally posted by COWFISHRULE
dont you mean "that'll teach me!"???
maybe the shock disrupted ya dome

lol I think i had a flash back from The Beverly Hill Billeys and grannie yelling...lol

saltjunkie

Glad your okay! Adds a whole new dimension to trick or treat! Accidents like this do not exactly endear the hobby to spouses either. I once had a powerfilter clog up and run water down the wall for several days before I realized it. It ruined the wall and the carpet etc... My wife wanted the aquarium out of the house for 2 years before she finally became convinced it wouldn't happen again. I'm gonna add a GFCI to my list of needed equipment. I thought the breaker on the power strips would trip? Guess thats why I'm not an electrician. :nervous:

neoreef

Not a bad idea to have an electrician do it. Our wall outlet had a screw loose, and it was getting hot with the constant usage. Could have started a fire. The electrician installing the GFCI found it...

bang guy

Originally posted by SaltJunkie
I thought the breaker on the power strips would trip?

Yes, it will trip AFTER
you've been shocked. GFCI will trip before you get shocked.

splashed

At least I am not the only one out there to have been shocked, thanks for all your comments.
and Happy Thanksgiving.