New 12 gal jbj dlx

exodus7627

I just purchased my new 12 gal jbj dlx and I started the cycle wanted to know if I should change the lighting to something a little more stronger currently it has (2) 24 Watt CF 50/50 lamps and I am going to put an extra powerhead any suggestions on the lighting or how many gph my powerhead should be.
I have also heard that if you put raw shrimp in the tank while it is cycling it speeds up the cycling process. Is this true?

carshark

Originally Posted by Exodus7627
I just purchased my new 12 gal jbj dlx and I started the cycle wanted to know if I should change the lighting to something a little more stronger currently it has (2) 24 Watt CF 50/50 lamps and I am going to put an extra powerhead any suggestions on the lighting or how many gph my powerhead should be.
I have also heard that if you put raw shrimp in the tank while it is cycling it speeds up the cycling process. Is this true?

yes it helps kickstart a cycle, what do you plan to do with this 12 gal? if you are going reef look into a power compact set up, make sure you have at least 5watts per gallon, and for circulation make sure you have a total of 20x turnover in gph...or more, depending on species of coral etc.. some low current, some are higher etc...

exodus7627

Ok thank you and yes I am going to make it a reef tank I have in there now 10lbs. of LR should I be putting in more or is that going to be enough I know that the more rock you have the better the filtration and less water changes you have to do.

teresaq1

I just bought the reg jbj nano,(24 wtts) and adding 2x36 wtts retro kits. i will have 96 wtts on a 12 gal. I got the kits for only 55 dol, and they are for a nano cube.

carshark

Originally Posted by Exodus7627
Ok thank you and yes I am going to make it a reef tank I have in there now 10lbs. of LR should I be putting in more or is that going to be enough I know that the more rock you have the better the filtration and less water changes you have to do.
without making it look tacky, id see if you could add about 8 more lbs, if possible, but it may not be a possibility, its not the less water changes, it just the water quality is much higher, i would still recommend a 1- 2 gal. water change a week....just to keep things pristine, and also with a higher intensity lighting you may have some algae blooms, so the more H20 changes you have, the easier it is to maintain the algae. along with organisms like a clean up crew to help you out as well...

littleliza

Originally Posted by TeresaQ1
I just bought the reg jbj nano,(24 wtts) and adding 2x36 wtts retro kits. i will have 96 wtts on a 12 gal. I got the kits for only 55 dol, and they are for a nano cube.
How difficult was it to modify your tank?