New 125 gallon

spkdtch

Went to my LFS store yesterday to see what they had. I just got a new job and wanted something new for my tank and bought a few pieces of coral that ill post ID pictures for identification later. On my way out i saw an 125gallon tank with no price on it and asked. The owner told me it was $125, the original owner moved out of town and couldn't bring it with him. So at a dollar a gallon, i grabbed it and brought it home. Filled it and had no leaks and no scratches.
Now before i bring it into my house, i have to find a location that can support that much weight. Its a glass aquarium and felt like it weighed around 200 pounds when moving it out of my truck to my garage. the tank and water will weigh around 1400 lbs with the live rock and sand.
I plan on doing an aggressive tank again now so they can have much more room, meaning very little live rock, around 15lbs im thinking.
Its a 2 story house with a basement. The basement is finished but is a laundry room/storage area in a quarter of the basement, a carpentry/tool area in the other, a workout room in another quarter and a small office
so the basement isn't really an option for the 6 foot tank
how do i know if my floors will hold the weight on the first floor?

spkdtch

we believe the house was built early to mid 50s
and if i place the tank on the first floor, i plan on putting it in the room on the south western corner of the house and the south western wall corner of the wall, that way there will be foundation under both walls making it the strongest area of the first floor
will it hold and not sag at all in the south western corner with foundation on both walls?

spkdtch

if i need to i will, but i don't want to do any unnecessary construction in the basement seeing as it has a false ceiling and it would need to be removed

spkdtch

have to wait for what? im not going to set it up until i have somewhere that wont have issues, will a corner with foundation walls under both walls be strong enough?

king_neptune

If its above a support beam your fine. If its above a wall your fine. If its sitting across an open truss with nothing underneath, your in for a new sun roof for your basement.
If you cant put it over a beam or wall...then you will have to put in your own supports downstairs. A pair of 4x6's on either end would do fine. Although I personally would prefer either a main support beam, or a wall directly underneath.
Dont think some 4x6's wouldn't do...checkout this bathroom my dad had to shore up.

Originally it was a pair 4x4 posts, but after 25 years they began to bow. So he jacked the whole deck up, tore them out, and put in pressure treated 4x6's. And these three are holding up an entire deck and bathroom, as well as roof over head.