New 150G Tank

gnorman

here is our new lee-mar 150g 60x24x24 tank. been working on the plumbing, hope to get LR,LS, and water in it by this weekend.

fedukeford

Thats a pretty sweet set up. how is lee mar any different than a regular RR setup? is it just a different overflow?
Feduke

gnorman

well my LFS really likes lee-mar and said they are one of the best custom tank company's out there. so far, our water level in the DT has been too hight.... almost about to go over the teeth in the over flow. i think its b.c our pump is pumping more than its draining, its already coming through a 1 inch return line, I'm going to have to dial back the ball valves and see if that helps but I'm nervous b.c we got a pretty powerful pump and i don't want to shorten up its span life too much. we got the star fire crystal on the front panel and it makes a huge difference in the clarity of the glass. the green in the glass unnoticeable. crystal clear

zman1

looks like it's put together with rubberbands --
Just kidding - looks like an awsome setup

gnorman

haha yeah...well that section is, until we move the power heads in the overflow box up. we turned off all the electricity to the tank and water kept on coming out. we didn't know why but we figured out how to fix that problem. we have 2 Rio 1200s inside the over flow box coming through 2 individual holes to keep water flowing in our live rock. as you can see in the picture.

f14peter

Originally Posted by GNorman
so far, our water level in the DT has been too hight.... almost about to go over the teeth in the over flow. i think its b.c our pump is pumping more than its draining, its already coming through a 1 inch return line, I'm going to have to dial back the ball valves and see if that helps but I'm nervous b.c we got a pretty powerful pump and i don't want to shorten up its span life too much.
I've seen debate over this issue (ball-valves shortening pump life), but one side of the arguement is that as far as the pump is concerned, a partially closed ball-valve downstream is no different that having to pump up to a higher head.
Now, would a pump having a head of 8' inherently have a shorter life (potentially) than the same pump with a 4'-head?

zman1

FEW other things I noticed --
Double check the floor joist if not on a slab to see if they are perpendicular to the tank. Also, If you are fond of the wallpaper, you may want to put some Plexiglas over to protect it from splashing/saltcreep.
I like the color of the fireplace brick.
Looks like a Dolphin return pump, what size?
Again, awesome setup!!!

wangotango

ditto to what zman said. you will be very sad if the floor wasnt prepared for the load, and humidity with the wall paper will make it peel over time. other than that it looks great!
-Justin

gnorman

i dont get what ur talking about with the floor and it not being able to support the tank.
help would be much appreciated.
thanks
eric-

gnorman

thanks zman1. good article and it helped a lot. the tank is going on tile that is resting on the concrete foundation of the house so i think it should be ok.

gnorman

its a dolphin 5600/4700 pump.
we painted the back of the tank yesterday, we're going to do another coat when the one we just applied dries up. its going to be tough to get the LR,LS,and water in by this weekend. hope we can work it out

gnorman

here is our 150g during its 2nd day of cycling. we have 49 pounds of cured deep water marshal island live rock and 10 pounds of Fiji cured live rock. were going to get around 50 more pounds of Fiji live rock tomorrow. 80 pounds of dead sand, and 40 pounds of live(getting 20 more pounds of live sand tomorrow. Fiji miracle mud for the sump(thats what made our tank so cloudy). right now im just running the lights 6 hours a day in cluster of 3 hrs. the system return pump is on, but we are not running our skimmer or UV... should i be?
enjoy the pictures and feel free to comment.
Eric-
Lights off

Side View

Euro-Reef 250 w/ Dolphin pump 5600/4700

2 36" 2x96W Aqualight Double Linear Strip Retrofit Kit( soon to be added- 3 1watt blue lunar lights)

Lights on

gnorman

we just bought 73 pounds of Fiji live rock for $3.99 a pound. i hope to have it aquascaped soon(2-3days) but it might be hard b.c this is finals week for me. ill get some pictures up soon.
Eric-

azfishgal

Your tank is looking very nice! :cheer: I can't wait until I get my 125 gallon up and running. Hopefully in the next week or so.
(It's also a Lee Mar tank.)

saltn00b

so you turned your sump return into a CLS type of return ?
i have heard people try to advise against, what are your thoughts on how that is working out?